1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo ignition system

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by ben_jones, Sep 5, 2023.

1. ben_jones

Hey guys, I've got another question regarding my build, I appreciate all the input I got in regards to the blow off valve and the 2 lines joining in to 1. My question this go around is with the ignition system, I have a msd crank trigger I had planned on using, I've already got an msd 6AL-2 on the car, I was thinking about getting the boost timing controller, which one are yall using? Which model is best? I see they have a bunch of different part #s, I was looking at msd # 8762 boost timing master, what do yall think? What do you think is best and what has been ran by yall?

2. silver82GT

I like my MSD 6530. Fully programmable with lots of features and not crazy expensive.

91turboterror likes this.
  3. ben_jones

Yeah I already have that, but it doesn't do anything when it comes to boost

4. ben_jones

Like the msd 8762 for boosted applications

5. silver82GT

It has programmable boost retard if you have a MAP sensor on it. I have a 3 bar GM map sensor and have been using it in a boosted application for over 10 years.

6. ben_jones

Hell yeah, I see what you're talking about now, I've got the regular 6al-2 that's not programmable. Fml lol go figure I'd have the worthless unit guess ill just be buying the boost retard box with the in car adjuster.

7. sam51

I'm using the J&S Safe guard for ignition, it automatically retards up to 20* but it listens for detonation and adjusts each cylinder accordingly. I'd like to go to the MSD boost timing master but the safe guard works well so I'm not going to fix what isn't broken, I do have plans for the future to have my Holley Sniper control the timing but thats when I have the extra cash to do that.