1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Twin rear turbo oil & water line size suggestions

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by bummm1, May 2, 2018.

1. bummm1

A single line brings oil back to the rear of the car and splits into a 1/4 line for each turbo. Each turbo has a 5/8 drain line to its own catch can & each catch can has its own 5/8 line to a Y connection and into a high volume pump to pump oil back up front. 1 what size line is recommended to bring the oil back to the split into the two 1/4 lines? 2 What size line is recommended as the base leg of the Y going into the oil pump? What size line should be used from the oil pump going back up to the front of the car ? Same exact questions relative to the single water lines going back to and from the turbo, s back up front ? I don't think the motor size has anything to do with these questions but for what its worth it is a 540 BBC

2. Forcefed86

It really depends on the turbos oil requirements. They can vary a ton. Which turbos are you using? Why do you feel you need to run water to them? Likely no advantage to that. You can just plug the water passages, esp. on a remote mount.

For typical journal bearing stuff I’d run a small inline oil cooler on the turbo feed line and use ½” rigid alum hard line to back as far as possible with a check valve on it. Then then split to ¼ hard line to the turbos. Hard line will also act as a large heat sink. No reason not to cool the oil on the supply and return path as much as possible.

Drains are another turbo dependent item. I like to use ¾ ID copper fittings and solder. Ensure a straight gravity drain path to a sump box of some sort feeding the pump. The return line again should be hardline for heat dissipation purposes, but it will be under pressure so diameter is not a big concern. 3/8” should be fine, you want some restriction in the line so it isn’t returning fluid so fast it drains the sump completely and pumps air. Scavenge pump exit should also have a check valve.

3. bummm1

Using journal bearing 3582 s - using the water cooling to be protective can always plug off later if not needed thanks

4. Forcefed86

Def won’t hurt! Just a headache to install. U already buy them? Aren’t those on the small side for a 540? I use a set on 323 cubes and they are about perfect for 600ish. Can’t imagine them on a 540.

[​IMG]#ad

5. Traction Issuez

A single line brings oil back to the rear of the car and splits into a 1/4 line for each turbo. Each turbo has a 5/8 drain line to its own catch can & each catch can has its own 5/8 line to a Y connection and into a high volume pump to pump oil back up front. 1 what size line is recommended to bring the oil back to the split into the two 1/4 lines?

From a simple surface area perspective; a 3/8" line would provide more volume than a pair of 1/4" lines. Look at the restrictors on the inlets of the turbos; they're probably only have a pinhole in them anyway.

2 What size line is recommended as the base leg of the Y going into the oil pump?

Same size as the oil pump inlet

What size line should be used from the oil pump going back up to the front of the car ?

Same size as the outlet of the oil pump

Same exact questions relative to the single water lines going back to and from the turbo, s back up front ?

I don't know if it's been done before but I think this might actually be a good use for one of those damn holley blue pumps to move coolant to and from the turbos. The challenge will be the pressure differential between the cooling system and the turbo cooling lines. It "might" be a good idea to have a separate cooling reservoir for the turbo cooling water, or of course, not use water cooled turbos.

I don't think the motor size has anything to do with these questions but for what its worth it is a 540 BBC