1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Twin F1C Geardrive Camaro AKA Crank 2

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by Procharmo, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Procharmo

Just wanted to log the progress of the only twin Procharged 1977 SBC 2nd Camaro in the UK. It will possibly be the only twin Procharged street Camaro in the world.....

Originally I had a P600B on a 355 GM small block installed back in '94 when Procharger was new and the internet consisted of one page websites!!!!

I spent the next 12 years laying rubber all over the UK till I upgraded to a Procharger F1C in 2006. 25lbs of boost and close to 900hp gave me the bug and I needed to control the car. I joined Protouring.com and got loads of info which resulted in new Baer brakes, Global West A Arms bushings ,sway bars,Strange shocks, TTII wheels, Khumo Track day and MT/Drag Radial tyres.....After getting used to the new sharper handling I wanted more power.

I then installed AFR competition 195's a Carb shop carb, Areomotive regulator, Eliminator pump, MSD 6 BTM, Hooker Super comp 1 /78 headers and blower cam.

I was happy for a while till I remembered '94 and that feeling of originality..

So enough background and lets start with this build...I looked at SBC 454's 434's, 427's and 406's. The block needed to be strong but contain enough piston to take a pounding. The 454 had too thin walls, the 434 and 427 required a tall deck if supercharged so I went with a Dart Little M 406. I didn't want to purchase new headers or use a 6" cowl on the street plus the smaller block would be easier to cool.....

I ordered a Shafiroff 406 SBC with a Callies Magnum Crank, JE extreme duty blower pistons and a mild solid roller blower cam for the street! The most important feature was the double keyed crank and ATI super damper which would have been difficult to obtain in the UK..

The courier left the crate on my drive, the car battery was flat so we unpacked the short block and carried it though the house to the garage and lifted it on to the stand. I was glad I power lifted regularly.......

Out with the old !!!!!

This stock cranked forged pistoned GM 355 will be freshend up and sold on...

2. Procharmo

This car despite the after market C&C T-tops was destined for the treat it's about to receive. This is because whilst in the US prior to it being imported to the UK in 1979 t had the T tops installed along with a front and rear big bumper delete...

The front is just begging for some ultimate cold induction treatment!!!!

Not sure who's car this is but after scouring the net for 2nd Outlaw cars this seems close to the look if not the power I'd like to achieve, only with the blowers where the bumper would be!

[​IMG]#ad

It seems such a shame to tear this down but sometimes too much is never enough!

Pretty busy day so I didn't get much done. Still I managed to get both AFR 235 heads torqued up and the Jesel shaft rockers installed and lashed.

I also decided to check the clearance on the thermostatic oil cooler sandwich as you never know when you have an aftermarket block, pan and headers. It was a good job I checked as the kick out area of the pan needed some gentle massaging to got the oil filter on.

I managed to drill and tap the trunk floor and install the battery tray.

I then looked at the engine bay in horror after seeing all of your total tear down builds. I haven't the skill, time or tools to do a complete restoration but decided to do a little something..

Before...

After....

I'll need to cut out the lower radiator support which was rusting anyway and start on the firewall over the next few days..

3. Procharmo

Mr Fedex dropped of this....

I eagerly unpacked it and found this....

It's clocked the same as my existing F1C....frantically I check my email to Terry at the Supercharger Store and found I had messed up. So..........
    I then found out that Procharger charge $282.00 to re clock your blower and 3 weeks turn round time......not including shipping to the US and back to the UK.

If you look here you can see that one is clocked 10 O'clock and one is 2 O'clock.
    [​IMG]#ad

So I re clocked mine which is pretty easy if you know how. Only I didn't so it was nerve racking...

Half an hour later all clocked and filled with Prochargers special oil.....

4. Procharmo

I plan on running an AIS water/methanol injection system. Rodney at AIS has hooked me up with two pre compressor nozzels and two just before the carb..

I drilled and tapped two Turbonetics (4" inlet - 8" outside diameter) velocity stacks or bell mouths. I then installed the nozzles so that they are pointing to the impeller in a manner which would give the least erosion.
    When the impeller is spinning it creates a vortex in front of it much like water going down a plug hole. If the misted water/methanol is flowing in the same direction as the vortex it gets sucked as opposed to chopped up buy the impeller..

I may use a similar technique when I install the Tial 60mm Waste gate. The excess vented boost can be recirculated via another nozzle to further improve efficiency!!!(compressed air spinning the impeller)... If I can get the angle and nozzle right....

5. Procharmo

Both valve trains lashed and the intake bolted down.....

I then started to mock up some of the intake routing......

I originally wanted to mount the regulator like this but didn't have enough clearance when the rocker went on...

But as you can see I ended mounting it on the head...

Not quite sure if it'll all clear the 4" cowl hood so I'll make the final cuts once the blowers are attached. Also managed to drill and tap two further meth/water in injectors.

6. Procharmo

Managed to get a few hours in today....concentrated on AN fittings as these can be time consuming...

Using some existing and older fittings I managed to get the -8AN's from carb to regulator.

Boost reference from hat to regulator.

Procharger BOV's and meth/water injectors to Tee pieces.

It's the planning that takes the time!!!!!

7. Procharmo

A few parts of the build have been pointed out as being too weak for the horse power level I desire. Still I must soldier on with the budget level I can acquire....

I took a gamble and guessed that if the radiator transmission cooler pipes were 1/4 ntp then they should be the same at the transmission. I managed to get the 1/4 ntp to -6AN adapters in so I can plan the transmission cooler location.

At some point down the road I will buy and install a built to the hilt TH400 but for now I'll baby this TH350 which has seen whatever a 355 with 25lbs of intercooled boost can put out (1000+hp)...Yes, it must be on its last legs as it only has a shift kit and is otherwise stock...

Got the MSD pro billet dizzy installed...

I also received this.

Its the AMS 1000 boost controller. I'll use this with a Tial V60 wastegate to limit and progressively feed the boost in, regardless of the geardrive ratio..

To re-energise my morale I started to mock up the front grill, not sure which way I'll go but I would like to ensure I get maximum cold air to the Prochargers along with some kind of aesthetic highlight. I may change the grills to back to Z28 black to further accent the polished blowers if it's not too "Ricey".....

Alternatively this look is a little more subtle...

8. Procharmo

I put together this video for inspiration. Featuring cool laid back reggae from Yabby U's Conquering Lion Dub with the classic lyric "72 different nations". ...Ok maybe just three.
    Norway, USA and UK..
    Polly Trans Am 'cause it's a street/road car and Procharged... Rod 's Vette 'cause it has a 2500hp SBC. And Andy's Vauxhall Victor 'cause it's British. All of them have the title Fastest street car in the world.....Enjoy!!

0U9YJXFhvy0[/media]"]Polly Trans Am Vs Rod's Corvette Vs Red Victor [/URL]

Watching the video was a stress buster to enable me to attempt wiring the MSD 7531. I won't put it on the firewall where my 6AL was, but in the passenger foot well behind the glove box so I can connect the lap top from inside with ease.

I put together a 10KW stereo in this car back in the late 80's but it doesn't mean I like wiring!!!!

I may also fit the fan, water pump, horn, line lock relays and circuit breaker/fuses there as well. The Areomotive pump controller negates the use of a fuel pump relay and it's power will be rerouted now the battery is in the boot (trunk).
    Trying to keep the engine bay uncluttered yet not make the interior too racey..

9. Procharmo

Some fittings arrived today enabling me to mount the AMS 1000 solenoids to the motor plate. I used a small amount of thread sealer for extra insurance....

I also received a -12AN coupler to attach the Magnafuel Y fitting to the thermos neck for the twin radiators.

Tomorrow I'll attack some of the wiring unless my gear drive arrives!!!

10. Procharmo

Received the AC Ryan meshX filters today. They are not true automotive filters but made for use on servers. I found this test on flow numbers for various mediums including panty hose.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209801&highlight=panty+hose

As you can see A.C Ryan MeshX showed the least restriction...

With the blowers being so close to the front grill I may not be able to run a full size filter. No filter is not an option. Because I clear so much debris from my Porsche radiator ducts I know that cars in front create a vortex that kicks up dirts of the street. If you have the air intakes low to the front it will suck up a lot off stuff.

11. Procharmo

I decided to see how my filtration would work out. Using a couple of T bolt clamps a cut down silicon hose, the trimmed to size 120mm AC Ryan fan guard and the Turbonetics bell-mouth. This is how I saved my engine from leaves, cigarette butts, small stones and children!!!!

12. Procharmo

I then used my old center console to mock up some AMS 1000 controller options.

That's too much like a race car... not clean enough!

Slightly better but the edges are too rough.

I may use this domestic light switch bezel to give it a finished look.....

As long as I can reach the buttons this may work with some trimming.

Its a shame it's not Ipad compatable as I'd love to install a carputer style Ipad to view this
    the meth injection controller and the MSD 7531 ingnition controller.

13. Procharmo

At last the gear drive has arrived. Lots of variables depend on me having this item to take measurements from prior to installing the motor.

This unit came with a 12 hole bushing usually reserved for the twin F2 Procharger version, a spare gear set for more boost and a user manual.

I started the mock up buy disassembling the unit.

I then attached the blowers to the front half.

At this stage the blower couplers would normally be installed but you have to heat them to 300F and then quickly press on. I'll tackle that bit later.

14. Procharmo

The blowers attached are pretty heavy and make you realise just how wide this thing is... (20").

The crank side.

15. Procharmo

Next I bolted the supercharger assembly to the gear drive without the couplers as this is just a mock up. At last I can start to measure where I need to cut and chop to get this monster in.......

The gear drive looks bigger than the block!!!!

16. Procharmo

Wired up some of the AMS 1000 and got the light switch bezel to fit a little closer.

Got the boost distribution mocked up......

17. Procharmo

At last, took a deep breath and started cutting the frame. Theory is if I retain the two bolts holding the rest of the rad support and nose cone I'll be OK till I can weld in some support. But the main thing is a radiator has been sunk in and sits nicely in position....

Only one more to go!!!!

Plenty of room for larger radiators if these don't cut it!!!

18. Procharmo

The second waste gate arrived this morning. It just missed the no fly ban in the UK due to the volcano in Iceland. Looks like I won't be ordering anything from the US till the skies are full of planes again!

Just mocking up to see where they can fit with a 45% angle to the charge pipes which will ensure optimum flow.

It looks like my 3rd Procharger BOV will end up on Ebay now I will no longer use a BOV masquerading as a waste gate. I'm sure the Tial's will do a better job.

This is no man's land for me as I have no other Procharged cars with twin waste gates, twin BOV's and twin Prochargers to model this build from! But I'm confident it will work as it is not to dissimilar to this Vortec Mustang with a single smaller Tial 44m waste gate and BOV.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_0708_vortech_centrifugal_supercharger_wastegate_install/index.html

[​IMG]#ad

19. 99TTGT

Welcome to our forum.!
    Nice, very clean car.!
    how much horse power you think the twin blower will rob out of the crank?
    200hp?
    300hp?

20. yellowpony

You sir, have serious issues you need to work out with yourself. That thing is just badass, very clean, and all the right parts. Can't wait to see it when it is together!

Anthony