1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

twin ebays on a bbc

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by joes69, Apr 7, 2018.

1. joes69

sorry I know these are asked all the time but just wanted opinions on hp and how you think it will work.Im running a bbc 496 with procom aluminum heads that have had a valve job for proper sealing.I have a comp hydraulic roller at 617 lift on 115 lobe center.I had a single 88 crt turbo and was planning on getting out of the boosted stuff for awhile but still have the bug after selling the 88.I bought 2 ebay gt45 turbos with the 69mm and 1.05 ar.Im going to run 12-13psi and curious as to what kind of hp you guys think it will make.Im also running a csu dual needle and seat e85 blow through.I went a 5.7 @124 with the 88mm on same boost but not sure if it was a efficient setup and not sure about this one as well.What kind of hp do you think it would make.Im ready to race but weather in our state is terrible and so far the tracks haven't opened for the season..thanks for opinions

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  2. BlownShovel

All comes down to tune. Without really knowing the cam, head, completely I would say 1000 is easy. potentially 1400hp max effort if all other things work together and fuel system supports the power level. I think it is a good combo and similar to where I had planned to go (twin45s on BBC) down the road.

3. joes69

Its a 496 with procomp heads.It has flattops that are 8.2 compressions with a comp cams 617 hydraulic roller and 115 lobe center.I was guessing somewhere around 800 at crank but just wasn't sure.The car weighs 3000 with me in it and has a 4.56 gear and th400 with ptc 4k converter.I have it set on 8psi currently just to see how it feels and make sure its all working correctly.Will get it up to 12-13 after a few passes.It is currently a 1/8 mile car since changing from 3.50 to 4.56.I ran a 5.7 @124 last season with the 88mm at 12-13 psi.I was only at top of second gear with the 3.50 gear

4. BlownShovel

Looking forward to your success. Good combo with plenty of potential imo

5. leeperryracing

that combo will make 1000whp before you turn the key:bounce:

6. scald50

I was thinking of putting a very similar combo together so Im very interested in the results, only difference is I have fitech fuel injection. Good Luck and KEEP US INFORMED!

7. joes69

I have had my trailer loaded up and ready to go since end of March.I live in Indiana and every Saturday in April has been cancelled so far.We are hoping next Saturday if weather doesn't kill us again.Fist time out will be 8psi just to see how it compares to the old 88single.Will post as soon as I run

scald50 likes this.
  8. BlownShovel

gotcha man same here in Ohio - snow changed to rain....

9. Forcefed86

In my experience those turbos aren’t very efficient. You’re 88 will likely do better at those lowish boost levels. I can’t see 12-13lbs making 1000+ on that combo...esp. @ 8.2:1. Should have enough turbo to turn it up a ways with those though. Those gears are gonna be rough to hook!

73runabout on here swapped his Borg cast 80mm for twin gt45’s on his 347. Smaller cubes I know... but the 80 outperformed the gt45’s in every way. Quicker spool, higher trap speeds, more power per pound etc... Believe he had to run 30lbs VS 24ish to hit the same power levels and his power curve was very lazy. Awesome turbos for the price, and maybe the additional cubes will eliminate the laziness... Will be great to see, Good luck!

10. joes69

so far the track will be open tomorrow for test and tune.Will post results after the run.I have taken it down the street a few times and at only 8psi feels pretty good.I know it has 2 more pounds of boost off the transbrake than my 88 had.I don't understand why more boost when everthing else is exactly the same but its definitely higher.With the 88 when it was turned up to 12-13 psi it would hit about 5-6 on the brake.With these twins at 8psi its hitting 7-8 on the brake.Nothing else has changed including conveter engine etc.The 88 felt like it was staring to have alittle trouble with the cubic inches so not sure if these china turbos will be better or not.I wont guess anymore will just post what I find.thanks everyone

11. joes69

so far it looks to be a great day tomorrow.I have the trailer loaded and will pull out at 4.30pm if all goes as it should..Im really wanting to at least try this setup.Will post results Saturday it its not to embarrassing

12. joes69

sure if this link will show you vid but wanted to post run

13. joes69

The weather in Indiana currently hates me so when we got to the track it just started to spit rain.I got up and made this pass and it hooked good but about 200 feet it started to get slick.At 8psi I had my best 60 foot which was 1.22 and even after letting out because of traction was still barely off my best from last season.I didn't get a lot of data like I was hoping so will list this combo as having potential currently..Right after this run the track was shut down for rain so didn't get anything else

14. joes69

hopefully this vid loads. having some trouble.The twin ebays are a lot more powerful at the start than the single was even at 5psi less boost.Im still listing these as potentially good just need more test time

15. joes69

this is a vid from the stands..The track had some moisture on it so didn't get a good full pass in.The potential is there but still have some figuring out to do

16. Forcefed86

Sounds promising and looks great! Keep us in the loop when you get some decent conditions!

:cheers:

17. joes69

it does seem alittle lazier when I get out alittle but with the slightly damp track I was spinning quite a bit around the 100ft and on.Its hard to tell by vid but I was actually in the other lane is the reason I let up.Did some chassis adjust and within a couple weeks will do it again on hopefully a better conditioned day