1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How bad is a MSD 2-step for the motor and trurbo?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mmelnyk66, Jun 18, 2009.

1. mmelnyk66

i was just wondering how bad is it for the turbo and motor to be put up on a 2 step launch control system? i have had a few people tell me that it vibrates the hell out of the crank shaft and also how oil is washed from the cylinders is ythis true or what?

2. Ssmonte408

I was wondering the same thing, I just put one in my car. The noises it makes on the two step make me nervous.

3. Mike93SVT

looking forward to some educated answers here. i had one on my old car and wasn't really planning on using it again as 'i've heard" that they can hurt the motor. i'm running a production 351w and don't intend to kill it faster than it will already go

4. mmelnyk66

yeah i was wondering if i should put one on my 302 once my turbo is finished but its not like i have a high performance turbo its just a tp38 off a ford truck so i was thinking if that would be able to deal with a 2 step. and for my motor its a 302 that has stock internals so i was wondering if that could take it.

5. one5oh2nv

subscribing want to do one too!

6. Chacata

A 2 step is the same as antilag. I've heard it is really hard on the turbine wheel and pre turbo pipes causes the fuel that doesn't get burned literally explodes in the headers and pipes before the turbo and it's what generates BIG energy and velocity of the gases to spool the turbo. Hard on the engine? Personally i don't think it would be harder on the engine than a bad overly rich tune.

7. ash

&feature=related[/url]

no damage yet ???
    :2thumbs:

turbonetics....

8. jaredsamurai

I'm curious myself. Doesn't it just severely retard timing? Or does it stagger firing of the cylinders so raw fuel goes into the exhaust? i could see cylinder wall washing being an issue with raw F/A mixtures in the cylinder :huh:

9. ash

i could see cylinder wall washing being an issue with raw F/A mixtures in the cylinder :huh:
    [/quote]

??

no....
    compression vaperizes the Fuel

10. black88coupe

A two-step randomly cuts out cylinder spark IIRC. It may be a little hard on the motor. It may also depend on the condition of the motor to begin with.

11. jaredsamurai

??

no....
    compression vaperizes the Fuel
    [/quote]

good to know

12. jaredsamurai

good to know

13. mmelnyk66

what if you have a carburetor is there a possability of haveing a carb back fire and then starting a fire? thats what i have been told idk if its true or not.

14. ash

nah
    never heard that before ????

the 2 step only randomly drops spark to a cylinder, and then the exhaust allows the unburnt air / fuel charge to exit the cylinder and then burn in the manifold

15. mmelnyk66

yeah now that im thinking about it, it wouldnt make sense to backfire through the carb

16. Will Evers

x2, it drops spark..

the fuel is still traveling in the same direction, and the fire is in the header, not in the intake.

Who cares if they may be bad or not...

They are a fact of life. We need them and use them all the time.

Ive never heard of someone saying "I shook the heads off of my car on the 2 step"

17. Bellman Jeff

I don't see a two step being hard on a motor at all.. When you set one up that also gives a bunch of ignition retard, you'll get that dramatic popping in the exhaust.. That helps clutch type cars, "that don't have a converter to load the motor" to help spool the turbo faster..

But I think most of us turbo racers are using an automatic that has a converter to load against.. The converter soaks up a lot of harmonics that may happen cause of the random cylinder cut out..

Here is a video of my car going on a 4000 rpm launch two step.. Notice that it doesn't seem to labor the motor much at all..

18. Renagade306

I love mine it does sound like the car is coming apart but fuck it. It's the only way I can get the car to leave with boost.

19. mmelnyk66

so how bad is it for the turbo then? especialy if its not a highend aftermarket turbo, just one taken off a turbo diesel pick-up.

20. Will Evers

Its so bad that EVERYONE with a turbo car uses it.

Stop being a puss and just get it going.