1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Timing for a BB Mopar???

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by Cevidicus, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Cevidicus

What methods do y'all use for controlling the timing on a big block? What ignition system is best? What mods are needed for the distributer? What plugs?

Thanks!

2. str5010

I don't have many miles on my setup but previous owner welded the advance mechanisms inside the dizzy. I locked it at a set timing advance and then use the msd 6al-2 ignition box to pull timing as necessary and build an artificial timing curve while trying not to go too far to experience dizzy rotor phasing issues. Haven't been happy with any particular plugs yet but I've been busy fixing various other issues. I have the timing locked at 35 degrees max advance for cruising. I'd like to go more but I try not to pull more than 15 degrees under any condition to prevent crossfire like I said.

3. Sweet5ltr

I'm using a MSD 6-AL ignition box, coupled with the MSD BTM. Locked factory distributor, around 32* total timing. I'm currently pulling 2* per # of boost. Autolite plugs gapped at .030. They are a few steps colder than factory. This setup has been working great for me personally, just keeping it simple.

Engine is a 440 w/ 10:1CR, Edelbrock 84cc RPM heads, Victor 440 intake, CSU 750 BT, .528 MP Solid Camshaft, 1 3/4 longtubes, wrapped hotside to rear mount S475 @ 6-8 psi.