1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

TurboStangMan SN95 Kit

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by Stang Seller, May 27, 2004.

1. Stang Seller

Hey all, just thought I'd give you the skinny on how the install has gone thus far on Chris' SN95 kit that he built for my friend. As of right now the car isnt running but it should be tomorrow. I will post with further info and pics once I see the car running and hopefully soon after will follow up with dyno numbers. The car is a 1995 Mustang GT with a stock 302 bottom end, stock cam, fully ported GT40 Y-303 heads, Crane Cobra 1.72 RR, Fully ported Cobra intake with the upper cut open runners knife edged and sealed, 70MM TB, 255lph intank, Mac 2.5" cat back, and a TurboStangMan Sn95 turbo kit with a Innovative T61 turbo. Here's the scoop;

Started the install, got the headers on and noticed the passenger side had a clearance problem with the frame. Turns out the turbo flange hit the frame rail, so we had to notch the frame rail to clear it. Once both headers were on we tried to mount the crossover pipe to no avail. We had to cut the crossover in several places, extend it, change some angles and weld it back together rendering much of the ceramic coating useless. The crossover pipe wouldnt clear the passenger side of the k-frame and was nowhere close to lining up with the headers, and also there was no provision for a clutch cable. We werent given anything to use in the oil pan as part of the drain system, so something had to be made up. As far as I'm concerned a kit should include that, maybe Chris forgot but no biggie.

As for the intake side plumbing, I havent seen the rest of the kit installed yet but I've been assured that my buddy will have it up and running tomorrow.

The intercooler fit perfectly and sits pretty nice, though I never saw it with the hoses hooked up. I will have to do a complete run through the entire system and try to snap some pics. Hopefully I can have some dyno numbers soon too.

All in all, the kit took 3 months to get here. There were complications on TurboStangMan's end and some miscommunication at our end. I know alot of guys want their stuff done asap, just like my friend did but the kit was a great price and a pretty good buy. Comparatively speaking to other kits out there (I have only seen a TTI? kit on a fox firsthand and all the others in pics) I would have to give TurboStangman's kit a 7 out of 10 for fit, 7.5 out of 10 for finish, 8 out of 10 for quality and construction, and a ? out of 10 for performance. We'll know the performance once I go for a boot in the car. Keep checking back if you care, I'll update with some pics and various other tidbits of info and multimedia (and hopefully a dyno sheet soon).
    SS

2. papis408w

cool, keep us updated:)

3. Turbostangman

I sent you a PM.

I'm sorry to hear about the crossover issues. Like I said in the PM I test fitted it on the engine stand before I had it coated. As a matter of fact, I build the PS header first, then the two pices of the crossover. Then I bolt them on the engine that is on a stand and the build the DS header to fit everything else.

As for the Clutch issue, I told Anthony when I spoke with him for the first time I built the system on a Auto car and had no idea of what issues he might run into with the 5psd. I was as honest about it as I could be.

When I put Craigs car together for the final time I didn't think the crossover was going to fit like it did on the engine stand or during test fitting. I had to use some manuvering to get it all to like up but it did fit.

I also test fitted the PS header on Craigs car and I didn't have any clearance isssues with the frame so I don't know what is going on there.

I appologize for the issues but if you took pics while you were doing it that would maybe help me improve the prduct for the future.

4. Stang Seller

Well, finally got the car running today. And man does it ever move. As for my final rating
    I have to give it a 10 out 10 for performance. Lets get straight to the meat! Didnt have a boost gauge handy, but I could feel the boost come on instantly. Roads were kinda wet and we both took it for gentle first drives. Anthony came back and told me that for the first time he's afraid of his own car. So I took it for a boot. Eased through first and second, gave it half throttle in third and broke loose so I shifted into fourth and goosed it a lil bit. No full throttle, but it broke loose real easy. I was at about 2000rpm! and gave it about 3/4 throttle and you could feel the boost build fast and it just went sideways (with full drag suspension). Anyways, back to the important stuff.

As I mentioned before the crossover had to be modified due to this being a 5 speed car and the kit was designed on an AOD car. We had to notch a lil spot on the frame rail, not the actual frame, up by where the turbo sits for easier access to the turbo/turbo flange bolts. The Y pipe and downpipe fit great and were of really nice construction. Both headers were made really well and fit pretty nicely. All the clamps and hoses were there and it all went together nicely. The intercooler fit real nice and was of superb construction.

As you can tell, I'm very happy so just imagine my friend who actually owns the car and the kit. All I have to say is it was well worth the wait. Untuned and not setup right, with 14* of base timing and no advance hooked up at 6.5lbs of boost the car is a rocket. I hope Chris (TurboStangMan) can make a crossover pipe for 5 speed cars for anyone else out there, though it wasnt too hard to modify the current unit to work with this setup. I would definitely recommend Chris to anyone else. We had some issues but they were worked out and Chris really worked with us and has provided some great tech support and tips. I cant say enough about the setup, so I will let the dyno speak for itself. I'm going to give the car a basic tune and then head over to the local dyno and get some baseline numbers. I'll keep you all posted.
    SS

5. papis408w

enough w/ the praises and give us some pics:D

glad the customer is satisfied.

6. NeedaTurbo

werd! :pics?:

7. Stang Seller

Well, still no dyno sheets of TurboStangMan's kit we installed on my buddies 95 GT but we did manage to get to the track. With horrid traction, no tire pressure gauge (that worked anyways), a crappy C+L maf that makes the car run like a bag of shit, 30lb injectors and 6.5psi of boost we managed a 13.10 @ 112.8mph. I managed a 13.699 @ 108 letting off between 3rd and 4th for about 1 second and then getting back on it. That was my only pass of the night, on 18" winter tires, as my friend took his own car (bastard) for the other 3 passes. I'm sure I could have broken the 12s on the radials with a couple more passes. Then we developed a huge EGR leak on the 86-93 style Cobra intake and the drivers header started to glow neon pink, so we called it a night. All in all, I was impressed with the MPH with such low boost. Time for some 42#ers, proper maf, and 10lbs of boost and hopefully we can just bypass the 12's on a slick.
    SS

8. Stang Seller

Ohh and here;s a pic of the car.....
    SS

bridal-shoal