1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbos + Nitrous

Discussion in 'Nitrous, E85, Methanol and Water Injection' started by PEARL MUSSIN, May 25, 2003.

1. PEARL MUSSIN

Does anyone here have experience with using a small (75HP) shot of Nitrous with a turbocharged set-up? I am thinking about getting an intercooler for my Twin set-up, and was wondering how N2O would work instead??? I know the shit is ICE COLD, and it would give me some more power, but what would be the downfall, besides the block imploding :D Also what kind of kit would I need a wet or dry kit? I dont how a dry kit would work with the nitrous "boosting" the Fuel press reg. and the turbos doing the same??? What do you guys think? It would probably just be easier to get an intercooler, but I am cheap and like being different:D

Jeremy

2. Underpsi

First off. I can get you a killer deal on a custom p/s 'cooler. And on the nitrous thing, i would punch a 150hp shot on it. Start at 10psi of boost then tune with the nitrous on. And from previous experience with nitrous i would go with a wet kit all the way.

3. 91GT357

with non i/c i would recommed an alcohol injection although, i have ran both. we set our 125hp n2o to come on at wot and off at 10 psi..wich then the methanol is activated through the same relay. i used an adjutable hobbs for activation.

4. Underpsi

Why not stick the the nitrous all the way through?

5. PEARL MUSSIN

Are you serious running 10psi AND a 150 shot of juice??? Also My boost comes on instantly, could I just run the 75 shot all the way down the 1/4 mile? I thought a wet kit would work better, I'm just scared of backfires..... I used to have a dry kit and could probably get it back CHEAP, would a dry kit work???

Jeremy

6. Mustang50

yea what he said!:rockon: :rockon:

7. Forced302

Either way (wet or dry) you need to have enough pump. If you go wet, make sure you don't put the nozzle too far away from the throttle body...you don't want fuel flowing (or puddling) in your tubing...it would make a great backfire if you had.

A dry system will work better but, still, you need the inj and pump for it. I would, for obvious reasons, start low. Maybe a 50 or 75 shot. Make a run (maybe a 330ft or 1/8 mile pass) and check plugs to make sure you have it under control. Datalog it if you can.

Just my .02 worth.

Jeff C.

8. PEARL MUSSIN

I think I have the pump and injectors, I run dual 255's, in line and in tank, Kirban reg, and 42lb injectors. Maybe I'll start looking for a Nitrous kit :D

Jeremy

9. Bobo

Oh so this is your ic idea :) The PS ics are supposed to be pretty good right? A good deal on one would be a step in the right direction....just gotta make it fit ;) Guess I just like the ic idea better after all the damage I've seen from nitrous cars.

10. PEARL MUSSIN

I ran Nitrous for 2 yrs without a problem, I never even hurt a plug.. I don't know how well the PS intercooler would work with twins, with it only having 1 inlet, 1 outlet? Somwone out there has had to use NAAWWWS and turbo before :stickpk:

Jeremy

11. Snipe656

I dunno, I would start at a 75 shot of even lower if you could then work up from there.

12. Bobo

Well I've seen two cars with blowers and juice blowing stuff up. Not saying it won't work, just that it's more volatile :grenade:

13. CW25

I kinda plan on running a real small shot of nitrous. A nice 40 shot. Keeps things real cold and out of detonation. Definitly tune it well on the turbo then work with the nitrous.

14. TT RACE

nitrous is great to cool off you're intake charge but thats primarly what I would use it for with a decent turbo kit you should have all the combustion pressure you need. some guys use it just to spray their intercooler

15. turbotbirds

I'm planning on running a 50 wet shot on mine. I don't have a intercooler either and just plan to use it as a chemical intercooler. I'm gonna spray it from the line which should also help spool and get better 60's. I will probably lower total timing by 2 degree's also. I'm looking for a kit now, so I should have some results soon.
    John

16. Super Kaz

NX,
    Hooked me up with one of thier new,
    ProFogger Kit to help spool my 88mm!It's good to about 500 hp extra."Just in case":eek:
    Not sure how were gonna run it with the Gen VII?Still waiting for the new kit to be finished"Brad":stickhit:
    Then it all goes together!
    Kaz...............:rockon:

17. turbojunkie

I have a couple of friends that run NOS with their huge single turbo supras. They run a little 35-50hp kit and shut it off as soon as the wastegate opens up. It really helps spool up big turbos in a big hurry. One guy runs a 50hp shot on his and he usually hits max boost (27#) at about 4800rpm and with the gas it pegs the boost gauge at 3200rpm. Its kinda funny to see the boost gauge shoot to full boost almost instantly as he hits the nitrous. I would try it but be careful and don't run a huge kit through the car make the real power on boost and just use the nitrous to help spool up the turbo.

18. Forced302

I too have nitrous plumbed in but have not used it yet. I was aimig for a good tune on 15psi of boost but with the stock block, I think I will be pushing it too much. However, I am going to turn the wick down to 10psi and then spray a 50 shot. I figured, the 50 shot will work mostly for the cooler air and not aid too much as a power adder. I think I will benefit mostly from the added colder air and thus be more efficient at 10psi with NOS than with 15psi only. Just shooting for efficiency over power 'cause of the stock block.

Jeff C.

19. CW25

At 10 psi that 50 will turn into a 75 hp return because of the cooler air. I knew a guy that ran a 40 shot and it came to 65 on the dyno with 9psi boost. Oh and that was with a supercharger.

20. Forced302

My thoughts too. I am hoping by lowering the boost and air temps I will not be leaning on the motor as much as just turning up the boost to compensate for my ego. If I can go 10.x with 10psi and below ambient air temps that, that is better than going 10.x with 15psi of heated boost.

Whatcha think?

Jeff C.