1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Can I lighten my Garrett gt4202r?!

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by BYBYLS1, Feb 7, 2012.

1. BYBYLS1

Hello everyone! I am currently building my street/strip mustang. I have a really potent engine package and almost all of the parts needed to support 800-1100hp. Now on to my delima, I picked up a brand new & still in the factory box Ball Bearing Garrett gt4202r for $725. I am going to use this turbo since I already have it to get the car up and going. I have the big B&G fabrications pt88 hotside kit with a 4" downpipe. I really don't want my nice new header cracking from the really heavy turbo hanging off the manifold....so what I'm wanting to know is there any way I can shave some weight off of the turbo? Is there any one who makes things like a light billet aluminum compressor wheel backing plate to replace the stock heavy cast piece? And do any of you know anything that I can do to lighten the turbo a bit?

I really appreciate everyone's help, and have a great day!--Justin W.

2. 2slowchevelle427

I'm not really sure about lightening with disrupting the structural integrity. However, you may be able to brace the turbo, which would call for a certain amount of fabrication. You could brace it to the frame if you had solid steel engine mounts but I think it would be wiser to brace it to the engine block through an accessory hole.

3. BYBYLS1

Here's the deal. The B&G hotside kit has a warranty against cracking or defective welds....as long as the headers are not modified and as long as the tune up isn't to rich or too lean, the headers are under warranty. When I install the engine, it will be going in with a new set of solid motor mounts because I keep ripping the poly mounts apart & because all of my intercooler piping will be connected with all Adel Wiggins clamps. I guess my only option will be to fab up one or two really robust braces that will somehow bolt to the turbo itself and then bolt to the engine. The B&G Headers are so nice, That is why I'm trying to come up with some ways to relieve some of the stress that the big Garrett turbo and the massive Precision 66mm wastegate will be putting onto the headers--Justin W.

4. cat herder

So fab the brace to bolt on to either the turbo flange or the turbo itself. I have even seen it done with a plate sandwiched between the drain flange & center housing. Be creative. Mock it up and spend a few hours just studying where everything goes.

5. stangman9897

You can take a little weight off of a turbo housing BUT you really need to know where it can be removed from with out making it weak, casting flash and excess material can be removed.

6. 61falconman

Tial makes a light weight SS turbine housing that will supposedly reduce overall turbo weight by 33%: http://www.tialsport.com/prod%20ss%20turbo.html#sgt4245

One of these will set you back over $500. Will also require you to modify your hotside flange to v-band. Nothing's ever easy or cheap!