1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbonetics Hurricane Bonita- TC78- A/R ratio?- Need opinions NOW!

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by frankensteel, Dec 12, 2011.

1. frankensteel

My son and I are resurrecting a vehicle I ran in the early eighties before some of you were born!)- a turbocharged,350 chev powered 68 Jag XKE coupe equipped with a warmed over Powerglide trans. It sat on a trailer for 20+ years (like Rip Van Winkle!). In its day it would run the Quarter mile in the high tens at around 125mph.
    We're using a powerglide, and the rear gears are 3 70's- fyi, the Jag rear is identical to a Dana 44. Vehicle weight is around 3000 pounds.
    Our design rev limit is around 6000RPM. Carb is a Mighty Demon 850, cam is a hydraulic grind- Gale Banks "Turbo Torque", .480 lift on intake and exhausts. Valve springs are Sig Erson, (remember them?) capable of 6000+ RPM.
    We're more interested in reliability, streetability, and consistency than ultimate horsepower- we'll be satisfied with around 600 hp.
    I would like to have power down low, with enough air to peak at 6000 RPM through the traps.
    So our question is this- should we use the A/R ratio of .94 or 1.15?
    Now, my son wants to order the turbo tonight, so I'm soliciting some opinions. I'm personally leaning towards the .94 ratio, but your opinions are appreciated.
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. wantabe

if you stick to the 6000 rpm... go with the .96 a/r
    other wise do the .81 if you keeping the rpm down

3. wantabe

.94 ?
    what housing you looking at ? tang or on centre?

4. frankensteel

The Turbonetics Hurricane Bonita/ TC78 uses a compact tangential exhaust housing so it can fit in tight places- and believe me, the low sloping Jaguar hood presents a real challenge! I milled the manifold carb flange to gain a few fractions of an inch, and the oil pan is getting pretty close to the ground.
    Sooo...
    .96 or 1.15?
    What's your opinion?

5. wantabe

not the 1.15............

6. big dave

Making 600+ rwhp will happen with either housing with that turbo.

The .96 will simply come in a few hundred RPM sooner and with slightly less back pressure.

Your real limitation will likely be the 3.70 gear as that will net you somewhere in the 135 range I believe at 6000-6500 rpm depending on how much converter slip you've got.... Generally you'll mile an hour a little better with the bigger exhaust housing. It could go either way really, if you were trapping 125 on the motor - plan on running out of gear LONG before the end of the 1/4.

Hope that helps!

7. TTFBDY

850 is overkill
    Guy's have gone 9.0x on 650 DP.

8. cat herder

850 would be on the small side if it's a draw through setup, OP didn't specify...

9. frankensteel

Went with the .96 A/R unit.
    It's a blow through, and the 850 may be too large- got it at a really good price- if it doesn't work well, we'll sell it and go with a Quickfuel 750 turbo unit.
    The turbo is mounted in front, just above the long style water pump,and the outlet is just about centered with the carb- very neat and compact setup. No plans (yet) for an intercooler- thinking of going with water/alcohol injection.
    The next step is to connect the turbo outlet and the yet to be purchased carb bonnet. The Procharger competition bonnet looks good.
    Thanks for your comments. I will post some pictures when we get a little farther along ( but first I have to figure out how to post pictures!)

10. AIS

If you are thinking of going with a water methanol injection system. be sure to check us out online at www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com . I have a lot of experience setting up custom systems for builds like yours. Feel free to call me if you want to discuss anything and what you can expect to gain from a system.

Rodney

11. frankensteel

I've bookmarked your website. I'll contact you when we're ready.
    Thanks for your interest.

12. 1hcam

I've looked into that unit a few times. Let us know what you think of it when you get it.