1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbonetics Hurricane 7868 BB on a LY6 6.0?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Batass, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Batass

Would this turbo be good for a manual 3500 lb street car? Stock engine, maybe a slight cam change. I got it for a smoking deal. It seems alot of guys like the Precision 7875 but I have heard from turbo rebuild shops that they are frankenstein turbos and not engineered to do what they do. They've seen quite a few failures with them.

I'm only looking for 750 fwhp, but more importantly, quick spooling for good ol street fun while maintaining respectable fuel mileage.

Will this work well or should I sell it and buy a different turbo?

2. Mnlx

It'll definitely spool quick, and make for a fun street car. It will give up a bit up top though, and a cam change will make it worse up top. The 7875 has a better compressor to turbine ratio, and would definitely make more hp.

3. TTFBDY

He meant 7675.

And it would be a better match to a 212/212/212 cammed 5.3 than a 6.0.
    The triple 12 is available from Stock48. PM him.
    You'd probably like twin Buick GN turbos better than the 7675. Or 7875....
    Video

4. Batass

When I change cams I'll just be aiming for more low end torque and a slightly lopey idle. I could really care less about hp in a street car.
    The 7875 is nice but supports way more than I need. However, I wonder what the spooling and efficiency difference would be at "normal street rpms"......?

5. Mnlx

Imo, the problem with either of the turbos is they're biased too much towards the compressor... you really don't need a 78mm compressor, but the 75mm turbine is suited very well to a manual 6.0 with a small cam. This is why the BW 475 96 1.32 works so well on so many setups. It has a modest sized compressor with a big turbine that can easily drive the compressor. I would much rather have something like that (probably not the 96mm in your case, but something similar) than a severely underdriven compressor (like a 68mm turbine with either a 76, or 78 compressor).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  6. Batass

I agree with that, but how much of a noticeable difference would it make?

The small frame and light weight of this turbo is appealing....those 400 series are big and heavy.

7. Batass

Well I'm going to put it up for sale. As cheap as the used TVS 1900 are going for, I may just pick one of those up. They'll make enough power for what I want and a whole lotta low end tq.