1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How much differance with smaller exhaust AR.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Fg-Canter, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Fg-Canter

I've fitted a turbo to my Mitsubishi Canter Fg637 4x4. The engine is a 4.2 litre 4 cylinder diesel. The turbo is a [FONT=&amp]Kinugawa T06SL2-20G. This turbo is not fitted with a waste gate.
    Specs being :-[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Wheel spec[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Compressor wheel: 52.5 / 68 mm (20G Wheel)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Turbine wheel: [/FONT][FONT=&amp]54.1 / 61[/FONT][FONT=&amp] mm (TD06SL2 / 11 Blades Inconel Wheel)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Compressor [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Housing[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]A/R 60 / 3' Inlet / 2' Outlet Non Anti-Surge Cover[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Turbine Housing [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]AR[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]8cm / AR61 T3 Flanged turbine housing
    [/FONT]

I've increased fuel and on normal highway running it runs well with highest temps being reached is 587 °C (pre turbo) and 11 Psi boast. I'm not seeing any boast till I reach 1750 Rpm.
    Now the problem :-
    When I am just poking along as on a dirt road at 1200/1500 Rpm and give a little bit of acceleration exhaust temps rises rapidly in excess of 600 °C.
    Not where I want to be. I believe I need to get more boast down lower and can get a new exhaust housing that will fit with an AR of 57.
    Is this the answer? Will this bring on boast at the 1000 Rpm?

Dan.

2. 20psiofevil

Not sure on the smaller turbine but a water/meth kit would work for you. Have you give it more fuel, how about ignition advance?

3. Fg-Canter

Not fitting a smaller turbine only looking at changing the exhaust turbine housing to one with a smaller AR (61 down to 57) that suits the same turbine. Yes fuel has been increased but no change to timing.

Dan.

4. jlbayes

More timing could help bring egts down but at the expense of making it harder to spool the turbo. A smaller turbine housing would help it spool faster but could cause egt issues at higher rpm.

5. Mnlx

I don't see the change from a .61 to a .57 making the 750 rpm difference that he's looking for, but wouldn't be afraid to try it if you have it. What's the typical rpm range of the 4.2?

6. Fg-Canter

Top revs for the 4.2 engine is 3100 Rpm.