1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbonetics compressor housing fit garrett t3? Or make T04B S trim?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by deezums, Sep 7, 2016.

1. deezums

I've got something very close to a Garrett T3 45 trim, but it has something closer to a stage two turbine in a .48ar housing. 64/50.5mm.

The 45 trim compressor wheel is probably too small for what I want to do. I am trying to decide if I should swap for a 60 trim compressor wheel, or if I should go to a S trim T04B wheel. I've had no problem finding the T04B parts, even billet wheels, but I can't for the life of me find a garrett t3 60 trim compressor housing.

Turbonetics makes a 60 trim t3, if I bought a garrett 60 trim wheel (lots on ebay for cheap) can I use the turbonetics compressor housing?

Also, I can't put a turbonetics super 60 wheel on a garrett shaft, right? They seem to be "big shaft" so I guess they won't fit the 6.35mm shaft I have now? Kinda a bummer, as it seems like it would be a perfect fit for what I need.

Would a T04B with a small stage 2 .48 turbine be too big for a 1.8L 4 cylinder? I've done some math with CFM calculators, and it looks like I'll be all over the surge line till 3500 rpm or so, but then I should be in groovy territory where it really matters. As long as it's awake by 4,000 or so I think I'll be pretty happy. I need something like 12-25lbs/min at 14 psi, and 16-30ish at 18-20psi for being dumb at the strip or on the highway. I'm using these compressor maps here.

http://turbocharged.com/catalog/compmaps/fig6.html

Thanks for any advice!

2. deezums

So I've been researching a lot more, I think I might try and steal some john deere parts and make a 39 trim T04B. I can't find any 39 trim compressor maps, but if the change is anything like the difference between H, S, and V trim I think I'll like it. I need the surge line as far left as possible, and I don't really need anything at all over 30lbs/min.

Can anyone confirm these parts will work together?

Here's all the parts off the donor T04B32
    http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/garrett_parts_list/409940-0001.php

I found a compressor cover on ebay, part number 408274-0026. They actually made these diesels in the USA, so I stand a chance snagging used stuff.

409179-0026 is the compressor wheel number, if you google that you'll find lots of nice billet 39 trim t04b wheels for around $130 or so.

You can buy t04 backing plates on ebay, as far as I understand, I just unbolt my T3 backing plate and swap out a T04B plate like this.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/400578634382?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Does any of this sound halfway reasonable? Never done this before!

Thanks!