1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Converting from Carbon seal to Dynamic seal

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by jaredsamurai, Jul 18, 2012.

1. jaredsamurai

I picked up a cheap Garrett T25 that's in good shape but has a little shaft paly, needs a rebuild. I tore it down and found that it is a carbon seal unit which makes sense cause the guy I bought it from was into VW stuff. What all is entailed in changing this back to a piston ring style compressor seal? Will a rebuild kit convert it over?

2. Crew Chief

I don't think you can unless you get a new center plate. I had to have a carbon seal put in my new turbo and the guy that did the work said he has to mill the plate to install the new carbon seal.

I told the guy three times that I needed a carbon seal because I have a drawthrough system to be sure to take note. I get the tubo back and install it and low and behold I pump about a half a pint of oil through my engine in two pulls. :bah: Send the thing back and low and behold, he did not put a carbon seal on it. :bang: :doh: F-ing idiots.

Anyway all is good now.

My question is why would you want to change over? You can run a carbon seal turbo on anything. I just can't go the other way and it cost me $$$$$ to go to the carbon seal with my setup.

3. otrtruckpro

You would a new seal plate and a new thrust collar. And you might has well rebalance it while you got it apart. But like jaredsamurai said no reason to change it out. They will work on anything. I would use the money for something else.

4. jaredsamurai

yeah its only about $20 more to get a carbon rebuild than a regular rebuild. If I have to replace the backing plate that will quickly negate the savings. Thanks guys. I'll probably just stick with the carbon seal