1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

“Wastegateless†VGT turbo setup?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Forcefed86, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Forcefed86

In the process of parts gathering for my turbo ls1 project. This project will be very low budget. 90/10 strip/street car. Looking at the Holset he351e variable vane turbo chargers. Commonly found for $150-350. Usually the VGT mechanism is gummed up with carbon and needs cleaned. I doubt I'll have carbon issues with E85. These are 60mm compressors and pump out 780cfm each (very similar to hx-40) The turbine housing is variable from roughly 4cm^2- to a very large 25cm^2. (or .25A/R to 1.93A/R) I was wondering if I could eliminate the need for waste a gates with a twin HE351E setup? This way I could keep the VE of the motor up by not 'wasting' any of the exhaust energy as well as eliminate the need for additional packaging/space for Wg's and plumbing.

I was planning on using waste gate actuators with AEM boost control solenoids inline. I know this is nowhere near as good as the turbo RPM type controllers, but it would be cheap and effective. I've also seen variable rate springs used to hold the vanes closed, then as back pressure rises it forces the vanes open. Doesn't seem like aot of trouble for a lot of gain, yet I've never seen anyone do it'¦

2. slow67

Aero tried it on his 2 liter, and it wasn't enough, he had to add a wastegate. Although, the big, useless flat spot would give you a nice spot to machine a mount for a 38mm gate.

3. Forcefed86

Strange on one of his posts on this thread they claim to make 4-5 psi by 6200rpm with the vanes wide open.

I plan to push up to 20-25 psi with this setup. Possibly more. I don't think it will be a huge issue. Like you said though, easy enough to install a gate.

4. BlownShovel

I can make 30+ psi on my 2.3t with the gate wide open between 5-6G When these mofo's start to boost it comes on like a lightening bolt bam

An external gate is a must imo -- if you had twins and plan to run 25+psi you might get away without external gates but I wouldn't risk it

5. Forcefed86

Thanks for the input... The he351ve's don't have internal WG's do they? I'm running an hx40 Pro on my 2.0 (4g63) with a .63 housing now and its a lag beast. 10psi by 4k. (3d gear roll) 30psi by 5800. Gives you nice constant power, but spools up like a turd. I figure with 1.9x A/R housing on either side of a 5.7 It'd be hard pressed to make any boost. I think don runs a 400 shot to spool his 1.19 a/r housing on the S510. I don't se how your 2.4 can spool that large of a housing at all? I totally believe you, but I'm thinking the housing range of 4cm -25cm may be way off.

I run e85 and planned on alot of boost since I will be running factor casting heads/cam. I think 30 lbs out of twin 60's may be a bit more than the OEM ls1 can handle... Shame thoush, would have been fun! :cheers:

6. slow67

No, no internal gate. I believe the factory setup shuts off the vanes to keep it from overboosting. the 4cm3 housing size was measured with clay (although this small it really could choke off a motor, so you want to limit it on the small end.

The S510 is a 109/99 turbine wheel being spooled by a little V6 Buick...not really a fair comparison (also a 400 shot on Methanol doesn't hit ANYTHING like a 400 shot on gasoline).

Like BlownShovel said, once its lit, its LIT. If you can't light it (4-5PSI by 6200), then make the housing smaller ;)

7. BlownShovel

Correct the internal "gate" is really a moving slide vane that can open 20cm+ and choke down for spool /brake. Easiest method is to set it and forget it with these in many cases. Just adjust the slide vane run it..log psi rpm and adjust up/down from there. I used an external gate as well as the internal gate with mine. As stated even wide open vane 30+psi was obtainable.

8. Mnlx

This is a little off subject, but the aerocharger turbo kits for snowmobiles use vgt technology, and run without a gate. There not very common anymore, but worked well.

9. slow67

Yeah but they don't use a "sliding vane" type, they use fins that adjust the angle the exhaust impinges on the turbine, so technically, you could "overshoot" the vane angle (if designed correctly) to slow down the turbine.

10. aeroorion

Is this ls1 going in the 7?

11. Forcefed86

Got a new 1st gen rx-7... :D

[​IMG]#ad

12. aeroorion

niiiiiiice :cheers: