1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

vibrant bullet mufflers and a few exhaust questions......

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 74Transistor, Feb 12, 2012.

1. 74Transistor

On my turbo project that I am working on and based on what ive seen or researched here I can put my vibrant muffler inline with my dump pipe and tie in my 2 1/2 inch system with full tailpipes? Opinions on power loss ect? My car is a boat and has alot of pipe under it....noise wise I dont care but I really love my tail pipes out the back. Also I just thought since its mostly a street car it would be good and maybe just add an electric cutout for when I do take it to the track?....like I said opinions and thoughts on this....thanks in advance guys...already had a ton of my questions answered and really appreciate all the help and feedback....

2. Andy Dorsett

This is a very poor post. I even searched some of your other posts for you attempting to figure out your power, what downpipe you are using, etc and I can't find enough info to help you. Here is what we need to know:
    1. what size downpipe
    2. will the wastegate be dumped
    3. how long will the downpipe be
    4. what are the specs of the turbine side of the turbo
    5. what Vibrant muffler
    6. what power
    7. what boost level or what power the engine makes N/A so we can estimate

3. 74Transistor

Sorry for the "POOR" post.....if im asking that question cause I dont know the answer... how would I know that I need to provide all that info to have the question answered? :2thumbs:

4. Andy Dorsett

Just answer the ones you do know. You can't go wrong by providing a bullet item list of what you have, what you intend to have and your goals with every post.

5. 74Transistor

The turbo will be a s475 with the 1.32 a/r to start and when funds are available will prob be a 1.10 this answers a few questions

The muffler is the vibrant mini 9inch bullet straight thru design WG is being dumped and im thinking 4inch downpipe/muffler(seen a few on here installed in the downpipe)

looking for about 600whp

probabaly the 10 PSI range for boost and N/A I would guess 400WHP

6. Andy Dorsett

My thoughts:
    1. 3.5" downpipe minimum. 4" is very good
    2. dual 2.5" is borderline but acceptable since with a dumped wastegate all of the exhaust will not be going through it. If the 4" downpipe can be made longer before tying into the dual 2.5" that would be better. A slight increase in performance would be noticed with dual 3".
    3. With a turbo and full length exhaust with tailipes in a long car a race muffler is sufficent. Make sure you remove any mufflers in the current dual exhaust and run pipe only.

7. 74Transistor

Yes I am removing the flowmasters in the current system of course....and I can prob run dual 3 inch up to where the tailpipes start.....guy had a hell of a time bending them he wont do 3 inch and I dont think I can buy them anywhere unless i buy a bunch of mandrel bent pipe and let him have at it.....thanks for the help i'll do what I can here...... :cheers:

8. Twin Turbo Skylark

I like the idea of using the cutouts for the track and exhaust on the street. With my street 70 Skylark 355 CID twin T3/4 I have 4" downpipes, with cutouts under the doors and dual 3" X pipe exhaust with straight through flow type welded mufflers. The trick if you want to get the exhaust to the bumper without too much hassle is going 3" into the muffler and then reduce to a 2.5 at the rear axle. The muffler reduces the flow required out the other end so you can step down the pipe diameter a bit without loosing much if any power.

Another way to go is to run no muffler on the street. I had a twin Turbocharged 88 Chevy shortbox and I used a dual 2.5" exhaust from the turbo to the location where most X pipes would be and then I put it to a single 3" with no muffler... Sure it was loud at WOT but it was not bad for noise really when driving around town at 2000-3000 RPM not under boost... Get onto it and sure it is loud but not too bad... Never should have sold that truck...

9. 74Transistor