1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What small cam would you go with on a stock 6.0 with L92 heads

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by hezekiahmunson, Dec 24, 2010.

1. hezekiahmunson

I got an 08 LY6 from the junkyard. With about 15psi on the stock longblock what cam would you go with? I was thinking 218/224/114+0 maybe? Ive liked the 216/216/114+0 on my LQ4 with 14-16psi but supposedly single pattern is horrible for the L92 heads, havent seen a single person do that so who knows.

2. CyanJaguar

youve gone 145mph with your current cam, not even breaking 6000 rpms. at 3300lbs thats 770 hp. I would say you are good on the cam.
    you should instead minitub that sunbird so you can put some real tires on it and kill it in the 60 as well.

3. hezekiahmunson

Funny you say that I just cut it all apart mini-tubbing it yesterday in 32 degree weather, 275 dr's fit under there now, barely, the control arms are about a 1/4" away. This engine is for an 80 rx7 Im doing, not sure why I need a 3rd turbo car, figured losing 500# at the same or better power with an LY6 would be pretty decent.

4. CyanJaguar

I would recommend an 8.5 cage cos you'll be on the 8s if you drop 500 lbs an
    d hook.

Your current mph indicates mid 9 sec times.

At least now you have two ls1s. For someone who is indifferent to them you sure do know your way around them :)

I would recommend efi on this one so you have experience with both blowthru and efi on a boosted 6.0

5. hezekiahmunson

These LS engines are stout and cheap. Wrecked 4 pistons, smoking like crazy, still ran great, made pass after pass all over 130mph with a stock cam, finally was told to put it on the trailer thats too much smoke. Put 4 used pistons/rods/bearing in it runs like new. Im going to do this LY6 blow through first then convert it to an LS3 intake after Ive made a few passes with it. My Sunbird is so streetable as it is now I'd like to see what kind of fuel mileage I can get with the RX7 and use it as a daily driver.

6. CyanJaguar

so are you making one a race car only? cos if you are you need to put a real cam in it. something in the 230s. no reason not to if its a race car.

7. big dave

234/238 range if single turbo.... lift right at 600 and you'll be good to go. Should pull clean up to 7k rpm which will help with the steep gearing those RX7's have.

My .02