1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turboing a 904 cc yanmar diesel

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by dieselfume1, Jan 5, 2012.

1. dieselfume1

Hello all,

I've newly aquired a 2012 polaris ranger. it's got a 904 cc minimax yanmar engine rated at 24 hp. it's a tier 4 engine and it's pretty gutless. I've been talking with a guy who just bought a turbo kit from PPE diesel for his and said it made a huge difference. They claim with their kit mimimum (reliable) gains of 7-9 hp on about 8 psi of boost. They use a garrett GT12 turbo with water cooling. Only problem is the cost. they're asking around $2800 for this kit, and they're the ONLY ones who offer one at this time.

With my backround in Cat truck diesels, hanging a turbo off of this engine won't be much of a problem, but finding the right turbo to put on there would be a challenge.

I'm open to buying a GT12 turbo and using that, but it seems like it's boarderline too big for this application since it's rated for 50 hp up to 150. the cost to purchase one is also pretty high around $700.

I've also seen some knockoff IHI rhb31 turbos on Ebay, but appear to maybe be on the small side maybe? they're rated from 190cc to 900cc. But I'm thinking that's on a gas engine? my diesel will max the rpms out at 3600, so would that make it need half the turbo of an equivelent gas 900cc engine? This turbo is really affordable, but I'm concerned about longevity. especially since a bad turbo seal means running the engine away on oil to it's grave. If I run a turbo, I read that some should have restrictor for the oil feed supply, but I don't know if that's the exception or the rule for these things, and how do you tell how big of a restrictor to run?

This utv I use EVERY day for work, and rack up about 1000/10,000 miles per year on it, so reliablity it key, because I plan on having this machine for 5 years. don't need a race car, just want a little more get up and go when I mash it :D

As you can see, I've talked myself into a corner on this, and any feedback would be welcomed! I'd also love it if someone had one of these lying around the wanted to sell!

Thanks for you time,

Adam

2. Lance

I'd go with the RHB3, performance techniques (a turbo shop) sells these and they don't sell junk.