1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

In your opinion

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by RS377, Nov 7, 2010.

1. RS377

I have a Coronet RT that I would like to turbocharge. I need your guys opinions on a couple of things.

First off, there are a couple of rules that I have for this build. One is that I don't have the testicular fortitude to cut the car in a serious fashion. Second, since I'm not cutting on the car, I don't see the point in making ridiculous power. I'm hoping to make 7-800 horsepower.

I would like to install a set of twins much like the Mad Darts (mounted up towards the front of the engine inlet facing forward). I'm hoping that I can go with turbo's that will fit without notching anything and only making a few holes in the radiator support. I have a old DSM turbo laying around that fits like I want the turbos to fit (obviously too small, but wanted to something in there). Any suggestions on smallish turbos that will support up to a maximum of eight hundred horsepower?

The car has a 440 that will get edelbrock rpm heads and a blow through carb. I'm not sure about the cam selection.

I'm planning on seeing how far I can go with water injection and no intercooler on pump gas.

Any thoughts?

2. CUUDAK

Look in thread "Change in plan A/R questions" in this section.
    I have decided to use a larger single S475 and should produce 7-800HP without cutting up my A-body Cuda with a 383. Lotta info in that thread. Your B-body has quite a bit more room to play with than mine!! :chacha:

3. RS377

Just wondering, what are the rough dimensions of a s475?

I've heard a lot about them, but I really didn't realize how inexpensive they were.

4. RS377

Also is a S475 referred to as a s400-75 by some vendors?

5. CUUDAK

Stock out the box 76mm cold side and .96 exducer with the 1.32 A/R housing.. I am purchasing the upgraded S475 with the .83 exducer with the 1.10 A/R housing that is rated at 900HP for my 383. Your 440 will more than likely handle the 1.32 A/R housing which is rated at 1000HP. With the 440 you could also use the T6 S480 with the 1.39 A/R housing.

I did find a stock S480 for $550.00 on ebay.

I am not sure about the S475 being the same as the S400-75.... I think the S400SR is the same as the upgraded piece that I am purchasing tho.

Someone will chime in and confirm.

I am new to this turbo stuff too
    Maybe Anthony Fury will chime in, He apparently nows his shit!!

6. furious70

7. RS377

Yeah, that's huge.

That's why I was thinking that it would be easier (read: require less cutting) to get a small turbo on each side with a three inch (or even 2.5) down pipe on each side.

There is stuff that can be moved though, and at the unbelievably low cost of these turbos, I'm probably going to bite the bullet and just go with a large one.

8. RS377

Just wondering, but from those pics, it loos like the smallest part of the compressor is like nine - ten inches and the turbine housing is a little wider- is that right or am I just reading the tape from a funny angle?

9. furious70

ya, it's 12" if you count the compressor outlet, the 'base circle' is around 8". I've also got a 69 Coronet, and I've done some mocking up with it as well (even though this turbo is meant for my 70 Fury), and I think one of these would fit with no cutting, with the battery in the trunk. I mocked it up with OEM manifolds, a 65 b body pass side on the driver's side and an RV turned upright on the pass side. The cross over would be on top and then the turbo sits in the battery box and the downpipe comes across the front and then down and out where the fuel pump and headers would be. This is with manual brakes, manual steering, elec fan and moroso elec. waterpump drive. The alt. probably needs to get moved but I didn't go into that much detail mocking it up. This was with a 383 block, a 440 is just enough bigger that none of this may work.

10. RS377

That's great- I was looking at pretty much the same thing, manifolds and everything. I was thinking of running the turbo paralell to the car (intake facing the grill and the down pipe coming straight out the back.

The only difference is that I was looking at putting it on the passenger side and relocating the alternator down low with a Mancini racing bracket. I think doing it over there and sending the down pipe back on that side would let me keep my power steering and brake booster. It would be tight depending on how far forward the compressor has to fit, but I think with the outlet facing down I have a fighting chance of fitting something that size in. I think I would want to mount the turbo to the car if it gets too close.

Since you have a Coronet, have you looked at the amount of room in between the grill and radiator support? You could actually fit a set of twin in there. I have a inter cooler off of a diesel ram and it almost drops in completely.

11. CUUDAK

There also is quite a bit of room in the fender behind the headlights. I shot some pics of mine and posted them at forabodiesonly.com. I know for sure the GT45 ebay turbos fit there in my a-body. I just went with a larger single so I can put it under the hood. I may have to relocate the alternator to the driverside but it will work. There is a 67 Nova that has one in each fenderwell.

12. furious70

Ya, I was looking at a big single perpendicular, like AF did on capripant's car. I actually didn't look at the headlight bucket area. My Coronet is just a 318 car originally, so I'd have no issue with cutting the fenderwell. I would reserve the grill area for intercooler and transmission cooler, I think there's enough other room in the car.