1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

mopar stud girdles

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by 68Roadrunner, Feb 25, 2005.

1. 68Roadrunner

what does everyone think of the stud girdles available for mopar big blocks ?

http://gearsandrears.com/girdle.html

this will be a sub 6k stock main capped 383 pushing 700 hp with the possibility of eagle h-beams being added also.

2. turbodart

I'd like to know also. It seems like it would work well for trying to get a little more out of a stock block. I've not heard of anyone having block failure while running one. It make sence to me that by tying all the caps together through a common plate that cap walk would be substantially reduced. I'm just not sure how this will reduce cracking in the webs.

3. 68Roadrunner

i have faith in the B block up till about 1300 hp with the right mods .

scott of SDCE's challenger is a testament to the strength of the mopar big blocks.

while i may be seeing a little over half that HP , i still would like peace of mind without spending close to 800 bucks on aftermarket mains once the machine work has been done.

4. dart440_72

What mods would you do to a B block to support 1300 HP?

5. NigelTufnel

The factory big blocks were all pretty tough, although I have heard the low deck versions are supposed to be slightly stronger than the RB. I don't think I've heard of a pure block failure at anything under 650 hp. Upwards of 700 hp some factory blocks will last longer than others but most of them are living on borrowed time. I have a factory RB block that is making about 800 flywheel hp on 9 lbs of boost, and although the block didn't fail I think it was definitely starting to flex because a freeze plug would fall out on every dyno run (different plug each time, happened four or five times total). I already had steel main caps and ARP studs in it, so last winter I put a stud girdle in it. I've had no freeze plugs pop out since then. I'm using the girdle from Gears&Rears too. For what it's worth.

6. vitamindart

there also is a girdle made by one of the members of bigblockdart.com he may even make a main cap that goes with it to eliminate the washers

7. blownzoom440

i just got my girdle from gearsandrears and wondered what mods had to be done to fit?i have around 700hp crank 10.46 @ 129,4200lbs.
    thanks!

8. blownzoom440

i guess noone has had to modify the girdle to fit.thanks!

9. TheOtherDodge

700 hp will be ok on a stock block. However, I would not use stock caps. Using aluminum rods will also help your lower end considerably. I run a stock 400 block, aluminum rods, aluminum caps, block half filled. 3500 lbs, 9.3 @ 145 on a 175 shot.

I would think that 700 hp on a turbo would not be that hard on a block. At the minimum I would run aluminum caps.