1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

turbocharging a 1996 360 ram truck

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by nastyrx, Dec 4, 2005.

1. nastyrx

Ok guys,, help me out,, me and my dad are looking to get some more UUUMMMPHH outta our 96 ram truck,, we use it to pull my race car around in an enclosed trailer,, and it just doesnt have what it takes to tow the trailer as it should. I was thinking of just doing a turbo with say 3 to 5lbs of boost,, but what would i need to do to the fuel system and whatnot?? just was wondering if anyone has done this or something simular,, just want some more power to pull this trailer with,, cause honestly,, that 360 is a real PIG now. HELP ME OUT

2. CW25

If your looking for that little boost, a budget way to do that would be a hx-35, 10:1 FMU with 24lb injectors. I know lots of guys that have done that with centrifical supers making up to 10 psi. Make sure that pan gasket on the intake is new when you do this.

3. Anthony Fury

4. nastyrx

thanks for the advice and the intrest in my other rig!! I wonder where i can find another of those manifolds as those got sold

5. turbo_rafi

geta kit

6. BLWN318

no one makes a turbo kit for the rams

as stated above you can use some bigger injectors and the fmu w/aux pump. same system as the supercharger set ups. as for manifolds, no one makes any off the shelf. they are all custom fab'd. now for more power there are other things you could do before applying boost. cam, heads, intake, TB, exhuast, ecu flash. is it still a stock motor in the truck? do lot of bolt on's easier and cheaper then fabbing a custom turbo set up.

7. 318scamp

krc performance makes some headers. check them out

Steve

8. BLWN318

if you just randomly call KRC, the turbo header is gonna be crap. not sure if marty welds them or an exhuast shop but all they are is a Pacesetter header hacked up and a flange welded to it. barely took the time to take the "pacesetter" plate off.  its also gonna run you a good bit of cash. there was one on ebay a while back. originally guy paid $600 for it. now he might have changed and done somthing different with the new ones but you never know. not sure that headers he had on the TT R/T, but they look a lil bigger. i'm sure with the money in that truck they are better quality.

9. nastyrx

thanks for all the info guys,, im gonna try the norm first,, gut the converter,,bump the timeing up, cold air deal,,allready had a flowmaster

10. BLWN318

you can always break into it a lil more with a cam and rockers and m-1 2bbl, TB, etc