1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo issues

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Turbox3, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Turbox3

Hi there people, I've just got a 98 Hyundai Excel with a TD04 subaru turbo fitted to the 1.5 litre twin cam. Now I've just put the third turbo on it with the same results, within 20 minutes driving it starts billowing white smoke out the back and when turbo is removed the exhaust turbine area is dripping oil.HELP PLEASE, any ideas. The oil drain is working properly, just about to do oil pressure test on oil supply line, can anyone help with some rough pressure values, cheers

2. Mike86Stang

I'm not sure what pressure your oiling system operates at, but chances are the turbo is seeing too much oil pressure and blowing the seal.

Easiest solution is to run a oil restrictor at the turbo's oil inlet. Second make sure the drain is as large as you can feasibly fit, and make sure it is above the oil line in the pan,.

3. Turbox3

Yeah i did a pressure test on the turbo oil feed line and got 38psi at idle and 75psi from 2500 rpm upwards, I'm assuming that this is way too much oil feed so I'll be putting a restrictor in-line. Any idea on ideal pressure mate?

4. Mike86Stang

75 psi is pretty high!

Not sure on the ideal pressure. However, I would want to see it around 50psi on the high side.

Easiest way to make doubly sure what is ~should~ be is look up the oil pressure specs for the vehicle it came off of.

5. Mnlx

75 is a little high, but should be manageable with a good drain, good crankcase venting, and a tight turbo. Rule of thumb that I use is greater than 35 psi anytime turbo is making boost (journal bearing). What size drain? Any pics?

6. Turbox3

I'll try and get some pics up later, 3/4 inch inside diameter return hose plumbed into top edge of oil pan, about 5.5 inches long, catch can plumbed into rocker cover in 2 spots

20160918_071152.jpg #ad

7. Mike86Stang

Drain looks good.. I think you just need a restrictor to limit the pressure and you should be good.

8. Turbox3

Thanks mate, that's my next step