1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbocharged Gasoline Vapor System

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by vannozzi, Feb 15, 2018.

1. vannozzi

Hello Turbo Forums Members, I have been working on a Draw Through Turbocharged Gasoline Vapor System with the goal of increasing Gas mileage, increasing Horsepower, and reducing exhaust emissions from an Internal Combustion Engine. My test car is a 1978 Camaro with a 350 Chevy. So far I have built 17 prototypes, and now have a perfected design. I have also applied for a utility patent for my invention. If you are interested, and would like more information, please visit the Gasoline Vapor Systems group on Facebook top view.jpg #ad
    top view.jpg #ad
    spherical.jpg #ad

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  2. Bad Medicine Racing

So one bank drives the turbo and the other bank super heats the intake tract?

vannozzi likes this.
  3. vannozzi

Not exactly super heated, the atomized and emulsified gasoline and ambient air mixture coming from the Carburetor Venturi or TBI gets cold , about 45 degrees Fahrenheit , because of a evaporative cooling effect, when it flows through an initial expansion chamber. The engines hot exhaust gasses reach a temperature of +/- 450 degrees Fahrenheit, when it flows into the opposite end of the Primary Heat Exchanger. Both the air and gasoline mixture and the hot exhaust gasses flow through separate chambers, in opposite directions, within the first primary heat exchanger, which is made of 316 stainless steel. The hot exhaust gasses can only communicate with the cool air / gasoline mixture through the principal of heat conduction. The heat exchanger contains 30 spirally corrugated 3/8 inch stainless steel tubes that the air and fuel flow through. The hot exhaust gas flow over and between the outside of the tubes within the separate compartment. The heat from the hot exhaust gasses counteract the cool temperature of the air and gasoline mixture, and a temperature equilibrium is reached of between 250 to 275 degrees Fahrenheit. In the next phase, the now 100% gaseous and homogenous air and gasoline mixture is drawn into a modified draw through turbocharger unit. The turbocharger's compressor side intake horn is connected to the hot side of the Primary Heat Exchanger by a 3 inch V-band clamp, which creates a metal to metal contact, and conducts heat to the turbochargers aluminum compressor housing. The turbocharger compresses the vaporized gasoline and air mixture in order to increase the vapor density, which has been greatly expanded by the application of heat. The Turbocharger by the act of compression, also further heats / maintains heat of the air and fuel mixture. The turbocharger pressurizes the Open Plenum intake manifold with a Hot Gasoline and air mixture vapor mixture. To prevent any condensation of the Gasoline Vapor, a second exhaust gas heated internal sphere or coil heat exchanger is positioned within the open plenum of the intake manifold. There are also Aluminum intake manifold gaskets that conduct heat from the aluminum cylinder heads through the aluminum gaskets to the aluminum intake manifold in order to heat the entire intake manifold. In the cylinder heads, when the intake valves open, pressurized and homogenized hot gasoline / air vapor mixture enters into the combustion chamber, which is also hot from the previous combustion cycle. A custom camshaft is used that has zero overlap of the camshaft timing events. The homogenous gasoline / air vapor mixture combusts completely within the combustion chamber, expanding without detonation, increasing the efficiency of the engine, with a significant increase in horsepower and torque. Exhaust emissions are also significantly reduced due to a complete combustion of the gaseous air and fuel mixture which contains no liquid gasoline. Fuel mileage is also significantly increased, due to an increase of engine efficiency. Engine oil change intervals are also increased because of complete combustion of the gaseous air and fuel mixture.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  4. Bad Medicine Racing

Its an interesting setup. Are you monitoring actual air temperature inside the intake?

vannozzi likes this.
  5. vannozzi

DSCN0287-web.jpg #ad

DSCN0287-web.jpg #ad
    DSCN0287-web.jpg #ad

Yes, the Heated Gasoline Vapor is maintained at a temperature of 250 to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.

upstand2 likes this.
  6. Bad Medicine Racing

What kind of CFM can that carburetor flow? This setup is very interesting even if its not a huge HP project.

I have seen my inlet air temps exceed 300°f with a 75mm compressor maxed out. But that was only air. No way to see what the temps drop to in the intake runner after the E85 is injected.

vannozzi likes this.
  7. vannozzi

Yes, I positioned a pyrometer probe in the intake manifold plenum. The temperature stays consistently at 250 to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.

8. vannozzi

Yes, I am using the wasted exhaust heat to vaporize the liquid gasoline before it enters the Turbo / intake manifold. It is now in a complete gaseous form, mixed with air, so the typical problems associated with "Draw Through Turbo Systems" are eliminated. There is no liquid gasoline entering the combustion chambers. Think about when you open your gas cap on a hot summer day, and you hear that swishing sound,... that is gasoline vapor being released, and that is what I am running my engine on. It does increase horsepower by increasing engine efficiency, and reduces exhaust emissions because of complete combustion of the gasoline vapor / air mixture. Gasoline mileage is also increased because you are burning 100% of the fuel, so you can reduce the size of the carburetor, and make more power. I am running 10.5:1 static compression ratio plus 6 pounds of boost, which gives me about a 15:1 final compression ratio, and their is no detonation . Your oil also doesn't turn black, and lasts much longer. A typical gasoline engine is only about 25% efficient.

9. Chuck L

Shades of Smokey Yunick's hot air engine, 30 yrs ago??

vannozzi likes this.
  10. TTFBDY

Just what I was thinking.

vannozzi likes this.
  11. blue-boost

I believe I already know the purpose of a zero overlap on the camshaft, but could you elaborate?

vannozzi likes this.
  12. vannozzi

Yes, very similar, but Smokey used Radiator fluid to heat his primary heat exchanger, and I use only heat from the exhaust system.

13. vannozzi

Camshaft overlap is when the intake valve starts to open for a few degrees of camshaft rotation, when the exhaust valve has not fully closed yet, at the end of the exhaust stroke, when the piston is approaching Top Dead Center. Camshaft overlap does two things: 1) It aids in scavenging the cylinder of spent exhaust gasses, because the incoming flow helps to push out the spent exhaust gasses. 2) It transfers some residual exhaust heat to the incoming air and fuel mixture charge, which helps to vaporize it prior to the combustion process. My system first atomizes the gasoline and emulsifies the air mixture, then that mixture is thoroughly heated and mixed into a completely homogenous mixture, which is then compressed by the draw through turbocharger. The air and fuel mixture is now in a gaseous form much like Natural gas or propane. Camshaft Overlap is not a desirable thing when you run your engine on a gaseous vapor because: 1) It allows the gaseous air and gasoline vapor mixture to be pushed out of the combustion chamber into the exhaust manifold under pressure, wasting fuel, potential horsepower, and creating engine inefficiency. 2) The ambient air and gasoline vapor mixture can also ignite when it comes in contact with the very hot exhaust manifold, causing a backfire. Using a Zero Overlap or Negative overlap camshaft profile keeps all of the air and fuel mixture in the combustion chamber so that all of the power can be utilized, increasing engine efficiency.

papagar likes this.
  14. vannozzi

I am currently running a Mikuni 48mm Flat Side carburetor from a Harley Davidson, which flows 270 CFM. I am still experimenting though, and I have recently purchased a Weber 45 DCOE side draft carburetor, which can flow up to 450 CFM.

15. vannozzi

16. vannozzi

17. vannozzi

18. vannozzi