1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Thoughts on Ebay turbo kits?

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by Bacon, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Bacon

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I love it! I've got an 88 s10 with a 350/350 and an 8.8 from and explorer (I killed the little 7.5 10 bolt doing sideways burnouts...the Lincoln locker probably didn't help either..) I'm wanting to build a dirty DIY twin turbo setup for this thing and was just wondering if anybody has any experience with the ebay motors twin turbo SBC kits? They ring of "too good to be true" and I've heard that the turbos might be junk...BUT I haven't heard from anybody that has actually used one. Anybody have any first hand experience with these fine units? Throw some thoughts at me and let me know your thoughts. Oh, P.S. if this has been covered somewhere else please just point the newbie in that direction. Thanks!

2. trbo355

Its been brought up before and most people say to stay away. I personally have seen a SSautochrome kit installed on a 56 chev sedan delivery with the chineese turbos with a nothing 350 and it ran in the high 10's at over 4000 lbs race weight! With a 3.00 axle ratio and a peak RPM of 5500 too. They seemed to hold up just fine for a few summers before the car was sold. For cheap fun they seem to do ok and if the turbos die, at least real ones will fit in place since its a common platform.

3. Bad Medicine Racing

unless when the cheap turbo takes a crap it fills your motor up with metal...

4. Bacon

That was kinda my thought as well, it seems like the consensus is that the el-cheapo Chinese turbos are definitely the weak link in the chain. The reason I was pondering this thing is I have little to no desire to nickel and dime the hell out of this project with stuff like lines and fittings and gaskets and such....Sure, I could build a set of headers but it would probably take me forever and it doesn't seem like the most cost effective route to take. I don't wanna end up blowing my brains out over a set of headers to save a couple of bucks....I feel pretty confident that I could handle most of the cold side plumbing but being new to this whole turbo thing I'm pretty sure I'd overlook or royally screw up some really important detail....maybe if I got a kit and used the Chinese turbos to hold doors open or keep my stacks of papers from blowing away and replaced them with some junkyard t03's.....That might be the ticket. Thoughts? Thanks for the feedback. This forum kicks ass.

5. trbo355

Thats why you use the chineese intercooler to trap and filter out the chineese scrap metal after the chineese turbos puke. :D The rest of it just shoots out the pipe and breaks the windshield in the car behind you.

6. redss86

:lau: That's a good one.

7. Bad Medicine Racing

8. Bacon

Yep, thought about those too, I think that if I was just gonna JY the turbos I'd just flip my shorties around and weld a t3 flange to each end...Super low buck is always good! I guess I'll need to see what money/time allows when I get ready to do this thing ( hopefully this fall...) Thanks everyone. I really can't say enough good things about this forum!

9. topher455

A chinese crap filter eh. The ebay seller should add this to their auction. "Not only does the intercooler catch fragmented compressor wheels and related components it then cools them to the touch within mere seconds all while exhibiting a 0.0 delta Psi"

Yee Haw

10. Bacon

Now that's funny. I bey if that were an "added bonus feature" they could pull another couple hundred bucks out of this thing.... :D

11. Bacon

read that to mean "BET" i'm not sure what bey is.....

12. trbo355

Ha ha ha, that was great! :D

13. topher455

One of my finer works

14. Bad Medicine Racing

for the same money you can get a proven S400 from dave@majestic that can flow more air and support more HP without choking your motor down with that little T4 exhaust housing. I had a T4 flanged turbo and when I changed to the T6 the drivability and response off boost improved dramatically.