1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo Questions

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by vht, May 19, 2022.

1. vht

5.3 Summit cam kit 8717r1, will have converter matched to combo, blow thru carb, 3200 LB car with 3.23 gears. which turbo? S480 or S488, both with billet wheel, T6. Same price on either 1 also. I'm leaning toward the S480 but I can't help wondering how the S488 would spool with the right converter. It would make more power up top with less boost. Any combos out there with either turbo that has imput it would be great.

2. bbi_turbos

It won't make more power with less boost. It takes the same boost to get the same flow through the engine at the same point.
    For an example, if your making 1,000hp at 20psi moving 110lbs/min, then no matter what compressor you put on, it will always make 1,000hp with 20psi, if you keep the same turbine and housing.

The 88mm has shit for efficiency, the 80mm is better.

3. Mnlx

Why that cam? Doesn't seem like a great fit.

4. Turbo_Charged_95

Agreed with bbl ^
    If you want less boost with the same, or more power you need bigger valves and ports .

5. vht

Heads will be ported with 2 in intake valves. Any bigger intake and I run into shrouding. Cam is a little big but I think it will make good power up top, may be wrong. I just want a turbo that will make good power as I update the combo. I don't want to have to buy bigger and better with every change I make. Doing some research I've seen the 488's on 5.3's making good HP, I think with the right converter it'll work, could be wrong, been wrong before.