1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo upgrade

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Dentman65, May 31, 2022.

1. Dentman65

Ok I’ve got a couple questions and looking for help, I’m pretty new to the turbo world and am trying to work through a few issues and would appreciate any help.

First off I know that the turbo is undersized for the engine size. I’ve got a 408ci with a VS Racing 76/75 .96AR turbo. I’m looking at updating to a T6 80mm 1.32AR but wondering if this would aid in a cooling issue I’ve got.

I currently have a AEM wideband on the car and this last week it’s been acting up, I will start it and it will stay at 14.7 for a few seconds and then slowly creep up to the top of the scale and then not read.

Lastly I feel like the amount of smoke/steam coming from the catch can is excessive? I’m not sure if this is normal for this setup or there may be other issues.

2. B E N

More info would help, describe the engine build a but. A 408, but making about how much HP (NA), what RPM range and how much power are you shooting for with boost?

It sounds like what you are describing is excessive blowby, do you know what the ring gap on this was set to? Does the engine use a lot of coolant or oil?

3. Dentman65

the engine is a Mopar 408 fully forged and studded, 9.2-1 compression Hydraulic 241/247, 545 lift, factory iron heads with a blow thru carb and msd 6530. I would guess conservatively the engine is making 400-450hp n/a. I’d like to make about 800-900 on boost. The ring gap was set at 28/30. I haven’t noticed excessive oil or water consumption.