1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo Toad /6

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by turbo toad, May 18, 2011.

1. turbo toad

Heres the Turbo Toad 62 Valiant /6 turbo
    I bought this car sight on seen on eBay in Oct 2010 the car was mostly dismantled expect the original drive train 62 /6 225 904 pushbutton trans 7 1/4 rear
    Here is the setup now with the motor build taking place as we speak

72 /6 stock bottom end with ARP mains,rod bolts,and head studs
    custom grind camshaft waiting to get it back
    230/230@50 483 intake/489 exhaust LSA 114
    68 Head ported and polished with 170/144 valves with hardened sets on the exhaust side and HD springs head milled .080 O ringed block with a hussey copper head gasket
    Clifford 4 barrel intake port matched with 650 DP Holley with blow through mods
    Stock exhaust manifold ported and polished modified to accept Garrett gt3271 internal 18psi wastegate
    MSD 6al with MSD BTM to control the spark
    Kelsey Hayes disk breaks up front
    833 OD with hyd clutch setup
    8 3/4 rear 2.94 suregrip stock slant leaf spring with caltrac setup rear leafs moved in 3 inch

This car is close to being back together I'm waiting on my cam to come back from getting reground and I can put the motor and trans in and start to assemble whatever I have left

check out the links for pictures there is two folders in Photobucket of pics of the Toad

This build wouldn't be where it is without the help of guys like Shaker223,turbo66valiant,and Bill Dedmen these are guys that put up with a ton of my dumb ass question thanks guys

Aaron

IMAG0122-1.jpg #ad

2. HOTMOPR

Sweet! Welcome to the site!

3. turbo toad

Mock up on the old motor

IMAG0029-1-1-1.jpg #ad

4. turbo toad

Here another one just mock up

IMAG0032-2.jpg #ad

5. turbo66valiant

6. turbo toad

The motor and trans are in Im almost ready to putting some life to THE TOAD I'm awaiting a couple AN fittings for the fuel system so hopefully by the end of the week
    Aaron

IMAG0259-1.jpg #ad

7. turbo toad

Here's a shot of the drivers side

IMAG0258-1-1.jpg #ad

8. turbo toad

THE TOAD!!!!

IMAG0260-1-1.jpg #ad

9. Alikazam

Is that the oil inlet on the CHRA or the drain? Looks awful big for the inlet side! Nice looking slant :)

10. larouchedem

Neat stuff.

You may know, but that "hat" only saw atmospheric pressure on the buick it came from.

Dave

11. turbo toad

What your seeing is a 10 an 90 degree elbow that I reduced down to accept a 6 an oil feed with a 4 an on the return.
    The guy I bought the turbo from had it setup up with 10 an with a 24 inch hose with fittings which I thought was way to big of a oil feed line size so I reduced it down

12. larouchedem

I'm confused.

Is there a 1/8" NPT hole in the housing on the inlet side too? Most I've seen do, but many also have bolt holes to allow a bolt on setup there, if desired.

Drain side has a squarish hole in the housing?

Afaik, -3 is ok on oil inlet line, but some guys like -4, and -8 *may be* enough for the drain, but most guys like -10.

It sure looks like that drain line is small.

Dave

13. Alikazam

I think the CHRA might be upside down if that's how it is. Like ronpauldem said, usually -3 or -4 feed and -10 or so drain as it has a pressure feed and a gravity drain. Make sense? :) Just don't wanna see ya blow'er'up due to improper oiling!

14. turbo66valiant

Listen to Dave, your outlet is to small. Go with a -10 outlet and -4 inlet. Your inlet should have a restrictor in the flange also. Goodluck and lookin nice :)

15. larouchedem

Aaron,

Alikazam said it. The CHRA might be upside down. I mentioned the pipe thread inlet and the square hole drain outlet [in the center housing casting]. That would tell you.

Are the bolt centers the same?

Dave

16. furious70

I would start without a restrictor, lots of posts on here about that. If it smokes with a big return line, then consider it. The factory returns on my turbos are 5/8" so that's what I'm using (that's -10AN)

17. Shaker223

Can't wait to see it run!!!

18. turbo toad

Thanks guys I'm working on changing it now it always looked strange to me but I bought the turbo from a guy that just had it mocked up and he never run it I plan on changing it out in the morning

Down pipe and O2 sen are done!
    Electrical is just about done!

I have to fix my oiling mishap and run my fuel lines!

I'm off work tomorrow so there is a good chance tomorrow my be the day :chacha:

Aaron

19. turbo toad

Dave can I unbolt the CHRA and turn it right side up the bolt centers are different size for the inlet and outlet

Aaron

20. HOTMOPR

you should be able to loosen it and spin it over if its not totally stuck. unless it is bolted solid to the exhaust housing eitherway it should flip. alot of turbos just have clamps that overlap the chra and bolt to the exhaust housing. You can spin the front to just loosen the clamp or snap ring..