1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo timer idea's

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Colt, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Colt

I guess this fits in turbo tech huh?

I'm wanting to build a turbo timer for the car.. I'm used to letting my tow rig idle after towing, and just general driving, it's become 2nd nature.. But the car, not so much.. As soon as I get off the return road, I always kill the car about 200 ft from the trailer and coast up.. That's probably enough cool down time, as I typically stick it in 2nd gear and idle down the return road, but I'd feel better if I could remember to let it idle a bit.. But once I get off my ass and get the car street legal, it could be a different story..

How would you guys want one setup? Time, or by EGT temps? Always on? Or having to flip a toggle to activate it? Having it always on sounds like the smart way, for safety issues ( needing to shut it down in a hurry ), but probably just having a override push button would make more sense...

Time based would be simple to rig up. EGT's will take a bit of experimenting to see what they normally run on this car, I have no idea right now..

I've been wanting to make one for the truck, EGT based, just never got around to it. The microcontroler part of it is easy, it's just the wiring in that truck that wont be.. The car, hell all I have to do is keep 1 wire hot..

I've been playing with the idea for a long time, this kind of stuff is a blast to me. I just cant deside how I want to base the control, and overrides... Cost wise is cheap, probably 40 bucks for the micro controller part of it, the rest is just a few bucks in parts..

2. huafist

Turbo Timers are cheap, why not just buy one?