1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1952 Chevy Styleline SBC 350

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Bassman, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Bassman

I am looking for help on an inexpensive twin turbo set up for my 52 Styleline. She is just a cruiser toy, but i would like to have a little more power to move that big body. Any help is greatly appreciated. 20181218_162523.jpg #ad

2. 91turboterror

Welcome to the forum! First what is your idea of inexpensive? What’s your engine combination? Efi?carb?

flyinhillbilly likes this.
  3. Bassman

SBC 350, turbo 350 trans and carb. Less than $4000

4. sam51

i'm doing a single turbo, going to be right around 4500 all said and done, thats with me doing all the fab work
    . IMG_0750.jpg #ad

malibuguy and Bassman like this.
  5. 91turboterror

$4000 should cover a turbo setup. If you build your own blowthru carb you’ll save a good amount of money. Or you can get one from somebody like CSU carbs.A 650cfm carb would be fine for what your doing. You’ll need a single plane intake manifold, a large fuel pump like a Walbro which is easy on the wallet the size depends on your hp goal, a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator. How much hp does your 350 make? How much do you wanna make? Sometimes a single turbo is easier to package and comes out a little cheaper

6. Bassman

It makes about 400hp now. Would love to get close to the 800 or more hp range. Just want me a lil sleeper that will melt the tires off.....HEHE

7. Bassman

It makes about 400hp now. Would love to get close to the 800 or more hp range. Just want me a lil sleeper that will melt the tires off.....HEHE

8. 91turboterror

What’s your rear gear ratio? The turbo 350 won’t last long behind a 800 hp turbo v8 in a heavy truck. A turbo 400
    Would be a better option.

9. Bassman

Stock gears. I am actually thing of going to a 4 speed automatic transmission.

10. 91turboterror

Stock gears are kinda vague there. What ratio? You want a numerically lower ratio
    For turbo duty. What rear btw? A 4l80 would be your best bet when it comes to
    4sp automatics. You’d need a trans controller too though as well as whatever else it takes to support the horsepower

11. Mnlx

I'm going to be that guy.... ls swap all the way.... Stock computer for a 80 swap, or a micro for a non electric trans. When you learn how many parts overlap both builds, or are needed to make a carb setup work right, and how good, and cheap the ls is with boost it's a no brainier.

12. 91turboterror

Mnlx is correct! Your at a point by going the LS route would be less expensive. Yank the 350 and 3 speed auto and sell it to recoup some cash. The LS will give you better drive ability and mileage as well as power especially with the turbo. You’d want to look for a gen 4 engine to get the most bang for your buck

13. malibuguy

I used a dual plane on my 267 turbo. I was all in just shy of $500, but eventually later tweaks and upgrades pushed me near $600

14. Xpress

I'm interested in your reply. I have a 1st gen 383, all forged inside, roller cam, alum headed engine that's out of my truck while I put a Crown Vic front suspension in it. Should I put a LS in when it goes back together? Just asking cause I value your opinion. Thanks.

15. Mnlx

No reason to go to an LS if you have a well built gen 1, unless you want the stuff that goes with the LS. If starting from scratch, and want efi, od trans, and cost effective, there's really no reason not to go LS. The gen 1 platform is still very much alive, but it costs as much or more.

16. Xpress

Thank You.

17. Bad Medicine Racing

I personally like the novelty of a gen 1 SBC. As much as I like my LS the turbo world is literally flooded with them. A nice edelbrock EFI intake, a crank trigger and the correct distributor and he would be in business for the engine. Then a MS3 (I'm not a fan, I like the Holley better) or a Holley Dominator and a 4L80 if overdrive is needed.

If you have a 3.08 or similar gear, I would not bother with overdrive. Just use a Holley sniper and blow thru that.