1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

turbo SN 95 misfire - nOOb needs help

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by RonF, Nov 12, 2006.

1. RonF

ok guys ive been on here for a while and i read alot and i know i may get 10 different answers but ill throw it out there anyways and see what happens, first the mod list.

1995 mustang stock eec- T5 trans
    mp t70 .68
    B&G hotside
    ebay 24*12*3 FMIC and home made piping
    prom M univ maf in blow thru CALIBRATED FOR A 99 CAR !!
    FMS 42#'S
    E CAM
    performer rpm heads
    1.6 RR's
    fel pro MLS headgaskets arp studs
    TFS track heat intake
    edel 75mm t/b (fox conversion)-tps set to .98
    no codes other than egr which has been deleted and air injection codes
    stock USED dist- new motorcraft TFI - BASE TIMING SET AT 5* RIGHT NOW
    burnt some new FMS wires on downpipe, -heat wrapped down pipe and put sleeves on new wires
    3923 plugs gapped at .029
    msd TFI coil
    full fuel system w/twin external 255HP's tried base FP anywhere from 35-50#'s aeromotive AFPR
    have 8.8lbs spring in wastegate now , took out 14.7 til i get it tuned

may have forgot a few things but you get the idea. tried locking the timing at 17 w/the spout out, car barely runs, backfires, tach gets eratic, just doesnt like to run w/o the spout in it, i had planned on pulling the spout and locking the timing the whole time but it just doesnt like that, i read somewhere else that the 94/5 cars needed the spout regardless and couldnt get away w/it like a fox car.

the car free revs and cruises normally and will build boost at 1/4 throttle accelerating, but if i go WOT or more than half throtlle i get a very rapid misfire, almost sounds like a muffled machine gun, not a loud POW backfire but a fast sputter, it goes away instantly when i let off the throttle or throttle back to 1/4. i will have a SCT chip burned and dyno tuned as soon as i free up some funds but i want to make sure this isnt a mechanical issue, i changed the plugs over to and it was doing teh same thing w/the new ones (put std 23's in and screwed up the threads, fixed now)

if this is a "tune" issue ill just have to suck it up and wait til its tuned but if its a mechanical issue i dont want to get it on the dyno, pay my $500 and the guy says thats not a tuning issue its mechanical.

engine is a fresh engine w/ i beams and KB forged 8.8 pistons, assembled by a reputable builder.

just wanted to know if this jumped out at anyone. "yeah i had the same exact problem and it was this _______"

feel free to contact me via AIM @ ron296237 or email
    This content is protected

thanks in advance !!!

Ronnie

2. blacksaleen95

well the stock tune is def not helping your cause..... Do you have an msd box? If not that'd be something to look into because I dont think stock ignition is up to the task of any forced induction car. Does the car have a wbo2? Check the afr at idle. You shouldn't have a problem running the car with no spout....

If the car has 42's with a stock tune that will contribute to problems as well.

3. Addictedtoboost

Just FYI,

94-95 cars have a very slow processor speed, I am experiencing the same thing, you can go in and solder in a different crystal to change the processor speed from 15 Mhz to 18 Mhz.

But that is still slow by todays standards.

Go FAST.

4. RonF

swapped following componets one at a time last componet took care of problem.

msd coil
    dizzy
    tfi module (new ford unit bad ?)