1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

wastegate selection

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mzracer, Feb 21, 2018.

1. mzracer

After looking thru the choices, I am at a loss to decide what size wastegate to use. I am looking for appr. 7 lbs. out of a gt35 turbo. I've also noticed a wide variation in price. I am on a limited budget so want quality and cheap.

2. 91turboterror

I like Tial and JGS myself. There are some people on here that run EBay gates.
    you could always run a pair of 38s if you can get them cheap enough.

3. TURBO 70CAMARO

Just do Tial and be done with it.

4. mzracer

Yeah but, I didn't see a suggestion for size.

5. 91turboterror

a 44mm should get you down to 7psi.

6. TURBO 70CAMARO

Yes 44’s are good

7. mzracer

unfortunately, I had went ahead and bought a 38. If it can't cut it I'll have to step up to the 44.

8. Mnlx

What's the rest of the setup?

9. mzracer

5.3 LS with C6 cam and springs, 3.57 rear gear. 5-speed transmission . GT35 turbo rear mounted with 3" pipes. I'll probably set the waste gate at 5.5 and maybe( if I can figure out how to use it) install this boost controller that came with the kit. Oh, its in a 90 E30 BMW.

10. Mnlx

That's a pretty small turbo, even for a rear mount 5.3. I'm guessing you'll have trouble maintaining low boost without creep. You can always add a second if needed.

11. 91turboterror

Yep 2 38s like I mentioned in post #2 lol.

12. Mnlx

I wasn't trying to take credit, just thought we should know more about the setup before just throwing out recommendations.

13. 91turboterror

I knew what you meant no problem .

14. Forcefed86

Sure you don’t mean a GT45? A Gt35 is tiny… way too small for what you are doing. A single 35mm gate *placed properly* on a gt45 should be able to do what you are wanting.

Example of proper placement… WG inline with flow.

[​IMG]#ad

15. rel3rd

I have that exact same (as pictured) STS setup on my car, but using a PTE 76/75.
    With a 7# spring in a single 38mm Tial WG, I can run 7psi with no problem FWIW.

16. mzracer

I
    originally was going with GT45 but the kit supplier was backordered. I'm not wanting to set the world on fire, just add a little oomph for track days. I don't understand creep??

17. mzracer

I have a A/F gauge and I assume it hooks to the O2 sensor in the downpipe. How is the hookup made ? Do I need to bring power and ground to the sensor with the other two wires to the gauge?

18. BlownShovel

If the WG cannot flow enough the psi intended may rise. IE 7psi spring, small wastegate - as rpm increases the boost may increase due to the WG not being able to bleed off enough

19. mzracer

Thanks for the info.I'll get educated on turbos before this project is complete.

20. Cmoses

I bout tial wg it's good to 15psi anymore than that u are really not hooking and it's kinda like a fail safe my thoughts