1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Gear choice for Turbo Gen1 with 76GTSH ??

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by turbodgumby, Jun 2, 2009.

1. turbodgumby

I have a 95 Lightning with PTS turbo kit, Precision 76GTSH,3 in. DP, stock 351w shortblock, AFR 185s, Cam Motion turbo gring, stock converter, auto trans. stock 4.10 gears.

Question is.. Should I change gears to 3.55s?? I know its a given with a mustang but wandering with the 4800lb. weight it may be different. Truck runs hard now but is Laggy!!

2. turbo66

Id go a bit more convertor first

3. turbodgumby

Got a converter going to get it reflashed for my set-up. Anyone on gear selection??

4. Sonic Blue 85

With a looser convertor a set of 3.73s might not be a bad idea. So what height tire are you running and what type of tire? If I remeber correctly that transmission has a 2.84 first gear, that first with a 4.10 rear gear and a looser convertor, will probably be a bit low, depending on how high you rev the engine and amount of power made. I am gessing you are not going to take the 351 past 6000 rpm. The C6 that the E4OD is based on, has a 2.46 first gear, but I think they used a 2.84 first in most of the gasoline E4ODs. It would help to know tire diameter, tire diameter can change the overall ratio quite a bit and then knowing it is a truck, you could run a very tall tire.

5. CW25

3.55 or 3.73s in a truck are a good choice. I run a 3.55 but with nte new engine it makes first gear on the street pretty much useless.

6. turbodgumby

tires are 28". Went to track last night on new combo. 1.95 60ft and a best of [email protected] on 9psi. on the 18" nitto DR 28psi in the tires. went through the traps at 5500rpm. truck weighs 3800lbs.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

7. RobT27

You could always try the ole converter-in-a-bottle, lol. Put your other converter in and have it tuned. With some fuel and timing adjustment down low, it will come off the line hard.

8. ssj50driver

I vote for 3.55s I believe they would be a great gear for you. GL.