1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

k04 capability

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Slow5.4, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Slow5.4

newbie to the forums here, have been wanting to do a 5.4 3v build in my 05 f250 for a while now. A buddy of mine crashed his car and is now parting it out and has a K04 that he would sell me for $300. I want to know how well the turbo would perform on this engine, when it would spool and be at full boost etc. I am running stock engine wise, so looking to run about 8-10lbs boost max. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

2. ss496

if its a K04 from the audi world it is WAAAYYY too small

MCA likes this.
  3. MCA

Yeah lol.... K04? like Audi... 1.8t, 2.0t k04?

The k04s I know are very, very small for a 5.4 v8.

4. Slow5.4

A turbo sized too small would just create full boost prematurely correct?

5. MCA

If it´s that small, it would totally choke the engine... make uncontrollable boost from idle but way out of it´s efficiency islands and delivering absurdly high IATs.

Maybe using 2... but even then I still think they might be small.

A single properly sized turbo... for example 78/75 or thereabouts, from VSracing or Ebay (if you are on a budget) would be best.

6. tbird

those turbos get choked out at 300ish hp with twins on a 2.7 v6

7. Slow5.4

Okay, are there any other turbos y’all would suggest? I have heard of using an hx35 off of a Cummins before, but I don’t have enough experience to know anything about properly sizing a turbo to know if it would work well or not

8. tbird

What are your HP goals

9. Slow5.4

Honestly just looking to push around 8-10lbs as I’m stock motor wise. Not looking to make it a race truck, just looking to give it a little snot when I decide to mess around with my buddies, or take it to the track. I am unsure of hp goals as I don’t really know what this is putting out at the wheels currently