1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Timing setup

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 3Dhuckin, Jun 11, 2021.

1. 3Dhuckin

Hello everyone. I'm new here and looking for some advice/ help. I have a 2001 s10 with a 327 bored 30 over. Forged crank/rods and pistons. It has a thumper cam in it as well. Engine builder said it has 10.5:1 compression. Aluminum heads 2.02 160 64cc. Has 4.10 gears and a turbo 350 with a 2500 stall. This motor was in it when I bought it. I'm putting the super sniper stealth 4150 injection kit on it and I've got a vs racing 72/65 turbo I'm gonna do a mid mount in the bed on. I'm planning on 5-6 lbs of boost since it has so much compression. my question is the timing on it. How much to run and pull per lb Of boost on 93 pump gas. Thanks for everyone's help. Also I've been told that cam will bleed off some compression due to the overlap. Dont know if that's true or not.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  2. sam51

In general my understanding is 2 degrees per 1 pound of boost, with a max of 50% retard of total advance, but thats with compression setup for boost, you may want to start out with more than 2 degrees and work up slowly.

3. B E N

It's not really a fixed number. When you drop the turbos on back it way down, then bring it in until you start to get knock. If you can get it on E85 that would help with the relatively high compression.

4. 3Dhuckin

I dont have access to e85. So it'll have to be 93.

5. Mnlx

Running an intercooler? The number that really matters is when it's in boost. Most Gen 1's like timing, but like others have said, start low (maybe mid to upper teens if intercooled) and watch plugs. I personally wouldn't wait to hear it rattle, watch the plugs. This would be a good candidate for water/meth for some safety.

Disney Lincoln and 3Dhuckin like this.
  6. Jomac

This post has been really useful to me. In between reading the advice here and Googling the info to fill in the gaps, i now have many questions answered and a much better understanding of what i am doing.

Many thanks