1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

turbo sizing for a 440 mopar

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by BlowThru440, Nov 18, 2015.

1. BlowThru440

:confused:

I kinda lost motivation with the car and work has been slow, but I think im ready to attempt a turbo mopar deal again. But my big issue is picking a turbo. I asked before about a single china turbo but I think I may want to go with a Borg Warner.

Can anyone reccomend a single turbo (no room for twins sadly) that isnt gonna cost me a million dollars and will support a good bit of power on a very mild 440 mopar? S475? S480?

Would this be an alright turbo? Im not looking to make 1000 to the ground, but if it makes 700 or so and will run on pump gas ill be more than happy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Borg-Warner-S475-S400-Turbo-T6-1-32-A-R-TURBOCHARGER-/290846775031

2. M&M Turbochargers

it would work ok on the small side though

3. BlowThru440

what kind of power is it capable of making on a 440? itll be ported aluminum heads somewhere around 290cfm @.500lift if I recall correctly, 8-1compression single plane manifold, ultra hp950. was thinking a 2.5"hot side. 10lbs of boost, intercooled on pumpgas (91).

granted this is all what I have in mind, the only turbo car I took part in building was a 1.6 honda in a sedan just for laughs. Im basically lost.

4. Mnlx

The more hp you make n/a, the more the turbo will limit power production. I personally would run a s475 on a very stock 440, but not on one with good heads, and I assume a cam. Both the turbine, and the compressor will be lacking on that combo imo. You're in a bad area for budget singles, unless you can find something like an old tv8101.

5. BlowThru440

Thats what I was afraid of. Im half tempted to put a 383 or 400 in the car since I can find those relatively cheap. Just probably use the 440 to build everything off of. I figure itll make maybe 350 at the crank on the motor. The cam is far from ideal for boost and im sure the carb is on the big side but its what I got to work with. .509 hydraulic flat tappet .292/.295 advertised duration, 108LSA if I recall right. that can be changed just the carb kinda has to stay, dont have the coin for something else and I just sold my 750HP for a song.

6. Mnlx

The tight lobe separation is going to make the smallish turbine worse. The heads and cam are where the hp is made... the same heads on a 383, or 400 will have about the same hp potential as the 440, but the 440 will achieve it at a lower rpm, and make more low rpm torque. With 290 cfm @ .500, and that cam in any of the mentioned cid's I think 350 is very conservative... even with the low compression ratio, i'd be surprised if it didn't make that plus another 100. At 350 hp n/a, the 475 would work pretty darn good. I'm sure you know this, but building it off of the 440, and expecting it to fit on a 383-400 may cause some issues because of the deck height differences.

7. BlowThru440

Yeah I know of the deck height changes but its nothing a welder can fix haha. What is your opinion on a garrett gt4202? 84mm turbine, 1.15? A/R.

can get a brand new one for very cheap and my understanding is its not too far off from the 475 but I could be mistaken. im not too good with this turbo stuff.
    garretts boostadviser app reccomended the 4202 as a possible turbo for a single application for my motor. not too sure on how accurate the app is though