1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Starting to read "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Greywolf, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Greywolf

I got it the other day, and have been slowly easing my way into it, because I want a complete not just understanding, but gut level feel of what is being said.

From the preamble you read that an engine's output (or POWER) can be divided into three parts:
    1) One third is absorbed and dissipated by the cooling system (!)
    2) One third is dumped out the tailpipe as heat * Not to mention expanding gasses, as heat has its effects
    3) One third actually goes down the driveshaft as usable power...

It's important to note that energy can change forms:
    thermal, kinetic, hydraulic, mechanical, electrical, all of these are forms of energy.
    * "COLD" is NOT energy, it is the relative absence of THERMAL energy

A turbo could actually be used to turn an alternator if needed, but it essentially scavenges energy from the exhaust and converts it into mechanical energy which is then used to compress the intake air - in the process of which the intake air is heated (unavoidable consequence of compression).

This process results in a much higher compression fuel/air charge, resulting in more power.

* An interesting comparison between drag race engines and Formula 1 car engines from the late 70's and early eighties is at the start of the first chapter. It shows 500 cube big block drag motors making 10 HP per cubic inch, but F1 car engines making 14 - 15 HP per cubic inch, clearly superior to the nitromethane detonating strip blasters!

Energy is never truly lost or gained - it is transferred and in the process may metamorphose into other energy forms including vibration when stuff breaks down...

So logically there is a large section on heat exchange (intercoolers) but I haven't got there yet. The math so far is amazingly heavy.

A lot of physics become involved, because this heat effect is mainly on a volume of gasses, but the book jumps right away into a study of the effect in terms of engine wear and tear on the different strokes of a four stroke engine. We get introduced to "TENSILE" and "COMPRESSIVE" forces acting on the pistons and rods very quickly, which deals with the change in gross HP or KW at the far end of the process of turbocharging..

At this point I shall stop for questions so that everyone can have a voice in this, and so that we can be sure we are all on the same page.

~Dutch J

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  2. Forcefed86

I liked that book. While I agree the physics and the math don’t change…. It’s been 21 years since it was published. With today’s engines and aftermarket, turbocharging has come a LONG way since he wrote that book. What was possible then and now are quite different.

3. Greywolf

So, what would an updated version include? Is there a follow on book or manual that i should have?

4. Forcefed86

Depends what you are trying to do. Are you wanting to build a turbo hotrod of some sort? What did you have in mind?

Easiest information sources are from forums like these. It won’t be as technical, more tried and true part combinations and “monkey see monkey do” tribal knowledge. Just be specific and ask questions. Unfortunately I doubt you’ll get much response discussing books here.

If you’re mainly looking for understanding, I’d complete the book you have. Just be aware what would once be considered big dollar “radical” power and performance… Is now available for a fraction of the cost. Mostly in part to affordable aftermarket engine management systems and cheap china turbos, intercoolers, fuel systems. Ethanol based fuels and water/meth injection also have made some big impacts since that book was written.

TTF/Ken likes this.
  5. B E N

I think many on this forum will have read the book, I know I did and its a good primer. Just proceed with the understanding that some of the info is a little dated. Even if you did understand it fully wont make you a turbo expert. The best learning you will get will be when you complete the research and build your first project. The project WILL have hiccups or little things that don't quite work right, these are what create the best learning opportunities.

I don't think there is a book that is all encompassing, turbochargers are a rather complex system involving chemistry such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics and physics both static and dynamic. If you wanted to know all there is to know it would require a library and half a lifetime of learning. Corky gives a brief look of a lot of this and attempts to condense it giving you an overview but its hardly comprehensive, and can be a bit confusing. In my case I have had the benefit of an education in some of these engineering sciences, and I am appreciative of the deeper understanding but if i'm honest it doesn't really make a shit of difference in the success of my build.

There are also some incredibly smart people on this site, guys like boost engineer who have vast experience and education and can undoubtedly build a better kit than the average Joe and do it every time because they have the knowledge. I don't mean in any way to talk down about the technical side.

The magic of it is that you really don't need all of this advanced science to put your kit together. There are an awful lot of guys on here doing really incredible things without the math. it's great to understand all of this if its in your wheelhouse but its hardly necessary, don't get caught up in it, don't let it intimidate you... this stuff is fun.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    hdwgfx and TTF/Ken like this.
  6. Greywolf

What I HAVE right now is a 90 or 91 Festiva with a 93 or so Capri Turbo engine in it - that you can tell by looking at it has some 'sketchy' parts to it. It has an intercooler where a front grill and A/C condenser should be, for one thing, to me that's minus ten points for a dirty install...

But it's a B6T Mazda. DOHC, 16V Inline Four. Stock turbo setup, for a Capri. Rocketchips ECU - I think it was programmed for 10 PSI from the lable on it. I think it's into the turbo a lot more than it needs to be, the BOV snorts every time the gas is let off.

Amusing at first, but a dead give away. Pull into a parking lot and the car goes: "PFFFFT!!!" loud and clear...

7. B E N

Do you have a boost gauge? Sounds to me like you just need to shim the bov a little.

8. Forcefed86

They also had baby sized turbos on them. They spool fast then peter out. Take a pic of the bov. I think those are the ones u put in the vice and crush slightly to add more spring pressure

9. Greywolf

I'm not there yet, but I was beginning to wonder (since we know very well they won't make a stock engine FULL MAX on output) what the ideal turbo size for that engine would be. I very much expected to hear that it had an undersized unit, but too much in the car it is in could make it nearly undrivable.

If it makes 150 HP, it would be around one HP for every ten pounds that it weighs, so go figure how much fun it is already!

10. Forcefed86

You’d be surprised what is driveable with the “correct” engine/power management. I’m around 3.7hp per 10lbs of chassis weight… ;) Getting the driveline and engine to survive at elevated power levels is the real challenge. That platform isn’t going to like much more power.

Finding something that will bolt-on with no fabrication will be expensive and not very effective. I’d look into getting an exhaust manifold with a standard T3 flange and external wastegate option. Then put a s $140 ebay GT35 clone on it. You’ll end up fabricating a bit of the cold side piping and down pipe most likely.

hdwgfx and TTF/Ken like this.
  11. Greywolf

GT35 - is that a 35mm inlet/outlet?

And I take it finding a T3 manifold for a B6 is not hard?

What's the stock turbo rated at?

12. Forcefed86

Believe they came with a dinky IHI VJ turbo. It’s like 38-40mm ish on the compressor inlet. It’s a baby hot air pump for baby boost. Couldn't tell you what it's rated at... not much over stock power/boost levels with any sort of efficiency.

Look on Ebay for manifolds/turbos/intercoolers/etc.

I suggest jumping right into something like this 61mm GT35.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gt35-Gt358...ash=item360b57155f:g:KiUAAOSwc6JahjVc&vxp=mtr

Or the even the cheaper 50mm deals like these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-T4-HYBR...ash=item3d4bc2e8b7:g:twwAAOSwd7Janjhd&vxp=mtr

13. Greywolf

I need to work with what I have as much as I can for now because of a recent crisis with my house. But even the "cheaper" 50mm are way over stock - an RB25 is a six cylinder Nissan engine...

Boost gauges both mounted and in my tools are on my wish list for now.