1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

turbo not blow much air

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by layitlow, Mar 21, 2008.

1. layitlow

I started my car for the first time today with the turbo. And it dont seem to have much air blowing out or sucking in on the turbo at idle. We dont have a wastegate does that have anything to do with it? Thanks for any help.

2. Daddy

Blow much as in how? Are you sticking your hand over the inlet or the outlet? Gawd I hope not cause that impellor can do a VERY quick number on your hand and from then on we'd have to call you two finger Fred.

If you're referring to the reading on the boost gauge you have to apply a load to the engine first before you'll see any pressure building up from the turbo. This would easily just require you to drive around.

Please be more specific in your question and we can help you figure it out.

3. BlownShovel

x1000000000000

Bad things happen quikly with a multibladed Ginzu

A turbo needs load to spool. revving in park won't produce much.

4. layitlow

Ok I dont have the gauge or bov or anything installed yet. All I have is the turbo and oil lines hooked up. It is a stick car right now. Looks like I will have to
    put in an automatic to load the converter to spool the turbo.

While Im thinking about it what size gear should I run. C4 Trans, 33" Tires, 9" ford rear. Will be driven on the street and the track 1/4 mile.

5. wheelspin

The turbo won't really move much air at idle. Turbo's only compress on the cold side when there is pressure to spin up the hot side. It's just sorta freewheeling at idle.
    Even if you rev it up without a load on the engine, it won't likely build any boost. The engine needs a load.

6. 4cefed

so you don't have a wastegate period or it's not hooked up, and yes the turbo does need load to spool. If your not running a wastegate you should get one asap.

7. bgjohnson

Anybody confused about this as I am? :stupid:

8. crawlinturbonotch

I'd like to see a video of this..I see bad thigs happening..

9. David Neibert

My doesn't even spin the turbine at idle.

David

10. Anthony Fury

+2 - half of my turbos are just stopped at idle; the other two just kind of "putt" around

11. Daddy

That comment is just too damn funny. :D

Half my turbos. :D

12. Anthony Fury

I try!! hahahahha

13. rickyhaiber

I'm actually still a little confused as to what this guy's doing...

But get a wastegate on it before you go trying to drive it around making boost.

Also, what do you exactly mean by your turbo isn't blowing much air? How are you testing your turbo to see how much air it's blowing?

14. chowder48

uhh sounds like he just installed his turbo and started the engine before he finished the full install (just to test it???) dont turbos have a breakin like a cam or brakes? i was always told to run it at hi idle for awhile and dont stress the turbo heavily for a day or two of running the turbo so it has a chance to settle in?

15. rickyhaiber

From who?

16. vader_turbo

So confused...... This thread is killing me inside. :'(

17. turbofreek

im with you on this one. this guys got me feeling a little less intelligent.

dude you must have a wastegate to run a car with a turbo. or good buy engine and turbo.

DO NOT put your fingers or hands near a spinning turbo inlet or outlet. i konw of people who count to only 7 on there hands from this. dont be any dumber. :doh:

on a completely other note. LEARN ABOUT FUCKING TURBOS BEFORE TRYING TO BUILD A CAR WITH ONE FOR CHRIST SAKES. great my leaf just blew over and i have to turn it again. :bang: :bah:

18. rickyhaiber

I am also guilty of doing it at times, but remember this is the newbie section and we must coddle people with these types of questions lol.

So on that note, hopefully he can get back on here and explain what his situation is in a little more detail and I'm sure he will get the answer he's looking for.

19. layitlow

Ok it has been a few months since we started the car. So we installed the turbo just the hot side to see and hear it run again. Cause it was a used turbo.
    So we started it and let it idle. Took a piece of paper far in front of the turbo on the cold side enough so it wouldnt get sucked in and it didnt move.
    The car is not driveable yet so im not driving it.

20. vader_turbo

thats normal. Lots of people say not to run your car without the cold side attached also, as they say it overspins the turbo. FYI mine barely spins at idle.