1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo selection advice, plus ID a CAT turbo for me!

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Rhino1980, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Rhino1980

Hey guys, got some questions relating to a Single Turbo Small Block Chevy setup I'm doing. First I'll post some details of the motor and then I have some questions about a CAT turbo I have access to as well as some other potential candidates.

The motor is a small block Chev, haven't decided on displacement yet, either 355 or 383, though more than likely 383. Heads are AFR competition eliminator @ 227CC. Cam hasn't been selected yet but will solid roller. Fuel system is an EFI hardware 8 injector 4 barrel that the rotary wierdos (lol) rave about. I have a lot of the bits including the 9 inch setup and built TH400 with 4000 converter. I'm going to use flipped Sanderson S10 1 & 3/4 V8 conversion headers and a u pipe. I'd really like to crack the 1000HP at the flywheel on race grade E85. Its all going into a 73 HQ Holden Sedan which will weigh about 1200kg with fibreglass panels.

So, on to the Turbos. The CAT I have in front of me has a remanufactured part number of OR-7924. I believe that makes it a 3406E? The exhaust A/R is 1.44 which I know is massive and probably unusable. It's also internally gated so I know the exhaust housings gotta go. The Compressor housing is A/R .81 if I have read it correctly and has the o-ring connector at the outlet. The inducer is 80 or 81mm and the exducer is about 108-110 (don't have calipers sorry). The turbine wheel is about 97 odd mm. My questions about this thing are:

1. Are these basically a GT47 Garrett?
    2. Is the COMPRESSOR A/R too big?
    3. Can I use an externally gated GT47 EXHAUST housing, will it fit? What A/R should I use?
    4. What HP would it support if it were infact of use?
    5. Should I just use it as a cool ornament?

The other turbos I am looking at are Borgies, being an S400SX4-75 and SX4-80. Any recommendations here on which one and also exhaust A/R's?

Any way of supporting the weight of the turbo other than than just with the headers?

Thanks so much for any help.

2. Rhino1980

Thanks mate you are a champion. What A/R is that replacement housing?
    You don't think that turbo is too large for a small block?

3. Rhino1980

Sorry for my mass of questions mate, do you mean its a good turbo without the large A/R rear? What do you think of the A/R of the compressor housing? I just did a search on it but can't find where it's been used on a performance application.

4. wantabe

is that the turbo with the waste gate actuator built in ??
    i think i have some bits in the shop??

5. Rhino1980

Hey mate,
    yeah its internally gated and the housing is 1.44. Need a housing near 1.00 I think from what I have read. The A/R of the compressor is .81, seems most larger framed turbos are .69 or thereabouts. Thoughts?

6. wantabe

the comp a/r does change things as much as turbine ar
    basicly either a high pressure comp housing or high volume housing ( dont worry about that too much.. :2thumbs:)

i'll look see what turbin housings i have here off some of the roadtrains / cat motors in earthmoving gear

7. Rhino1980

Champion! :D

8. Rhino1980

OK guys forget the CAT, the guy wants too much for it, more than what I can get a brand new Borgwarner specced to exactly want I want. Thinking of an S400-SX4 -76. What do you reckon of this turbo? What is forcedinduction.com like to deal with or himni racing?

9. Mnlx

Guessing you meant forcedinductions.com....... he is a site sponsor here and very good to deal with. there are a few other sponsors that sell the BW units. VS racing, who has posted here is one of them.