1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Limiters and Timing Component Limits?

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by DatCompound, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DatCompound

I've held off from using any sort of spark cut two step/limiter on my current build out of concern of trashing timing components. It's a 4.6 4V with metal guides and the dowel upgrade, but no billet tensioners or upgraded chains or anything. Now that I'm going with Megasquirt I've got some other two step/limiter options and was wondering if any of them could be used on my current engine without fear of damage. The timing retard option would likely be safe, but what about the rolling idle cut? It's not as severe as a spark cut, but still could cause some of the behavior that could fail timing components.

Beyond that, to make the next engine more robust, what are the must have timing upgrades for a 4V engine? I know the billet secondary tensioners are a must. But is there anything beyond that?

2. termcobra284

I went with wonder racing set up. It has billet guides, upgraded dowel pins, upgraded secondary chains, with modded tensioners. The ford oem primary is chain is fine. From what I am told this set up is ready for whatever you would wanna do. Hope that helps.

B E N likes this.