1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

turbo recommendation for f150 5.4 4v twin turbo

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by tolfo97, May 4, 2021.

1. tolfo97

Hello everybody.
    I have a f150 2000 that I swapped 5.4 4v with aviator 05 C heads, 97 cobra cams and aussie 290 boss intake and it also has 6r80 swap.

About 3 months ago the engine spun a bearing so I am assembling an engine with forged internals thinking of go nex level and putting twin turbos, I put on the engine molnar pwr adr connecting rods and mahle flat top pistons to maintain stock compression.

The thing is, I want a truck that with 91 octane gasoline can generate around 600 or more torque to the wheels and a similar level of horsepower, and something around 900 or 1000 horsepower with racing gas.
    and I've been thinking about these 4 turbos:
    https://turbo4less.com/product/vsr-next-gen-58-55-dual-ball-bearing/
    https://turbo4less.com/product/vsr-next-gen-62-62-dbb-billet/
    https://www.on3performance.com/shop/on-3-gt30-turbocharger/
    https://www.on3performance.com/shop/on-3-performance-60mm-ceramic-ball-bearing-turbocharger-60-65/
    These are the turbos that have convinced me the most but honestly I am someone new to the subject so if they have other options I will listen to them, but I prefer to try to put 2 turbos than just one because with 2 turbos there are less things to cut or adapt to accommodate them.

2. SpartanSV

Very cool. I have a 98 4x4 with a stock 4v 5.4, a built 4r100, and a single T67 rear mounted turbo. Are you doing the fabricating? I can't imagine trying to fit twins in my engine bay. A larger single between the radiator and engine seems much easier. Low mounting twins right off the manifolds was the only other route I considered.

I don't think the gt30 or 58/55 options are going to get you to the race gas goal.

3. B E N

S257 would be a good match.

4. tolfo97

Low mounting twins right off the manifolds was the only other route I considered.

I don't think the gt30 or 58/55 options are going to get you to the race gas goal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, i want to put them right off the manifolds, like the Hellion f150 sleeper twin turbo kit.
    For the turbos, i read a lot of people in the LS forums who can touch to the 1000hp target with twin 55s or gt30s, I don't see why a 5.4 specially a 5.4 4v, can't get the same results like the LSs

5. tolfo97

Yeah, that never crossed my mind. That could be more in that middle point between all my options

6. B E N

https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/possible-cheap-source-for-s256-turbos.386830/

Watch that seller if you are looking to do it on a budget. Something in the s200 line for twins on that engine seems like a good fit, a 56mm will make 60 lbs/min, should be good for 1000 to the wheels on your application. There are lots of s200 agricultural/industrial applications, you just have to dig around to figure out which ones will work for you.

7. dbh97

I'll be watching this with keen interest, as I'm slowly building a similar setup, though with lower power goals. I grabbed a couple junkyard turbos that I'm hoping to low mount off the manifolds. They're 47mm units from the 2008-2018 Volvo 3.0.
    I'm also planning on using the Navi intake for best low-end torque, though I haven't yet bought one.

8. SpartanSV

If using the Navi intake be aware that there is a difference depending on year. The early ones had the intake manifold runner control valve and the later ones did not. If you want to utilize the valve and don't have an ecu that can supply an output based on RPM you can use a cheap RPM switch.

9. dbh97

Are you referring to the valve that connects the two plenums? I can't seem to find any pictures online of a manifold that doesn't have it.
    And yes, I'd like to use it. At least long enough to see if it does any good.

10. SpartanSV

Here's a pic of my engine and a pic of the crossover I just grabbed with the control valve. The one I just got came out of a 03 navigator verified by the VIN. I'm not certain what year my engine is but it has the later timing cover indicating 03 or 04 model year. Maybe my engine is an 04 and they deleted the valve for 04.

PXL_20210710_195940798.jpg #ad
    PXL_20210710_195915729.jpg #ad

11. dbh97