1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Those of you running an open wastegate, do come in!

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by fastwhite86gt, Dec 5, 2005.

1. fastwhite86gt

As of right now, i am going to run it open to the atmosphere. How does it sound? how loud is it? Can you hear the turbo spooling over it? Let me know of your experiences please!!! :2thumbs:

2. ninjzx998

Imagine your mufflers falling off when you hit full boost or better running open headers. It sounds like your car is falling apart and your engine is about to blow up at first. Then you get used to it, then it gets annoying.

3. Dailymennace

IMO it sounds like ass! Way to loud for my liking but peoples tastes differ.

4. fastwhite86gt

more opinions please! can you hear turbo spooling with it open?

5. turbomut

sounds like a custom chopper at full throttle, very loud. I got use to it but I also put a little pipe and it actually toned the noise a bit. I can't hear the turbo spool but a buddy of mine said he heard the turbo when I past him at full boost. I still want to reroute it back into the exhaust just have not had the time and am still trying to figure out the best way to route it back on my hp kit.

6. fastwhite86gt

is there any way you can tone it down a bit without routing it somewhere? i bought the kit already and the previous owner ran open wastegate and i really dont want to do any cutting or welding. Anymore postive/negative experiences out there?

7. chris406

I have mine just open, with no pipe on it at all. I can't hear a thing. All I can hear is a really loud turbo.

8. fastwhite86gt

9. Disney Lincoln

But those of us that run less than 25# of boost and have the WG open from 3500 on up do hear it.

IMHO it sounds like complete ass. I hate it.

10. fastwhite86gt

does anyone have a sound clip? Also, is there a way to block it off without routing it back to the exhaust? the kit is already welded and i dont want to do anymore welding/cutting.

11. Disney Lincoln

You can put on a small pipe and muffler jsut for that. That owld help a lot.

Search "KWIKRNU" on the BS forum and look the "took the Coupe to the track" thread. You can hear it in there a little bit. It's quiet until the WG opens. That car is actually dead silent, until that point, then it's a screaming banshee.

12. fastwhite86gt

Where do you think i could find a small pipe that i could have a flange welded to it and put on the wastegate?

13. Disney Lincoln

1 1/2" pipe from exhaust shop. Flanges available from many of our advertisers.

14. jmstekguy

it sounds f\ukin awsome and i dont like loud exhaust anymore (have had tomany open header race cars, and mud drag truks) its perfect, u hear the spool up like mad and then it comes on loud under full boost, then when u let off it goes whoosh, pure sex , its perfect when u want your car loud, when ur givenr, but day to day it sound quiet, (unless ur runnin a 4" down pipe with a magnaflow) :D

i also stepped up the pipe out of the wastegate so it sounds kinda tuned, smaller the pipe the raspier the sound

15. fastwhite86gt

so you are running a pipe off the wastegate or no pipe at all? would it sound like ass with no pipe?

16. mystang

okay if i where you i would take the car to a exhasut shop and get tem to make you a pipe, unless you want it to sound like you just ran over a harley, and it got stuck under your car :2thumbs:

17. 302tt

18. Daddy

Somebody on here had run a length of pipe and a small muffler (actually looked like a glasspak) just for the wastegate, they even had it exiting at about the same location as the car muffler (dumped right before the rear wheels).  There was a real nice picture of it, but I can't seem to find it nor did I save it, but I do know it has been done before.  Best bet would be to take it to a muffler shop and have them bend up a pipe and put a muffler on it.

19. FRC Rob

Had it open...hated it. New set-up will have them routed back into the downpipes.

20. Ackbar00

I run Open Wastegate and open downpipe. When just putting around the streets, all you can hear is the turbo, it is loud as shit. But when you get it under a full load at 5600 RPM, you cant hear anything except the exhaust. All my vids are in my cardomain, you can hear some stuff there.