1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo Problem... Super T70, sell or keep?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 1105, Sep 12, 2004.

1. 1105

Just read in the BS forums that the Super T70 off of ebay is a piece of shit and I had allready bought one :( I was under the impression that it was a Master Power turbo but from what I read I guess its not. What should I do? I rather spend a couple hundred extra and get a nice turbo instead of dealing with this thing. It has never been on my car. I only had it out of the box to polish up the compressor housing and nothing else. Should I stick it back up on ebay and try to get my moneys worth back from it? What would you all do

2. Traction Issuez

Copy the auction you purchased it from and sell it back.

3. ConradS

Sell it while you have the chance and get a Master power T70.

4. 19COBRA93

I agree with them. You will kick yourself in the ass if you decide to use it. It's simply a 60mm turbo. Good for 500 hp or so. Yea, that sounds nice and all, but trust me when I say you'll want more. It's better to start out with something you won't have to upgrade later. As the upgrade king, I can say that, as I have learned my lesson on many things I bought too small at first (and no, I'm not talking penis enlargements).

5. 1105

Is there any mechanical reason that I should get rid of it? Everyone says they are shit but what exactle goes wrong on them?

6. MagicBus

everyone speaks so wrong of them, but who has proof to back anything up? Actual hands on experience with this particualar turbo?

60mm is good for atleast 550 wheel horse.. My baby 57mm is well over 500 horse now 650 torque on 15psi

7. ConradS

I've heard enough bad reports about their products to save $200. If the original owner wants to use the turbo then by all means test it out for us.

8. boostjunky

9. 1105

Looks like I might be testing it out. It seems like a nice unit. Theres is no shaft play at all and it spins freely. I'm trying to sell it for what I bought it for or close to it, but if that doesnt happen, I'm going to give it a shot.

10. JZ 97 SS 1500

I haven't had time to do a search on ebay for Super T70, but if its the unit from SS autochrome, then ditch it quickly. I have had 2 of them come through 1 with the turbine wheel through the exhaust housing and 1 with the compressor wheel that decided it no longer wanted to play with the compressor cover anymore...hehe ;) . Just my opinion and reasoning from studying the unit and the 2 failures, but looks like the balancing processes didn't take some frequencies into account. When the wheels are spinning their are some critical frequencies that the shaft and wheels see and have to be assessed. If not they will wobble their way into the housings or cause premature bearing failure. Same thing happened with the Newton turbo fiasco. He made turbos for an unbelievable price, but they wouldn't survive more then 1-2 passes...lol.

Jose

11. 1105

thank you! thats the kind of answer I wanted to hear besides they are shit. Looks like it'll be going up on ebay for sale.

12. Taff

You 're lucky 1105, I bought two! I asked the same questions as you after I heard the horror stories ,but, like you I didn't get a definite answer either.
    I'm no stranger to turbos and I've stripped these units down , I can't find anything' wrong' with them.
    Perhaps one of the pro guys who build turbo systems could enlighten us? Or some one who has actually had a failure with one of these Super T70,s?
    I'd still like to know who actually makes these units!

13. JZ 97 SS 1500

Taff, doubt you will "see" anything. Only way to tell is 2 options. Stick it on the car and see if it explodes or slap it onto a VSR machine. Improper balancing is not a visual mistake.

Jose

14. Taff

Thanks JZ for the answer,(I posted my question after your reply,sorry).
    So if I have these units rebalanced correctly they should be OK ?

15. JZ 97 SS 1500

Also as to answer the "who builds them" part, well I'm not sure, but I can say this, they don't know what they are doing. Also watch out for the master power units they sell as well. The wheels being used are not from MP and are not tagged with the serial #'s. The MP units are all marked on all wheels.

Jose

16. JZ 97 SS 1500

Taff assuming everything else is ok, yes you could have it balanced. You maybe lucky and have a unit that is decent. Its just a pricey mistake if its not.

Jose

17. 1105

Even if you can get it balanced I'm still not taking my chance with it. Anyone have a good BS story or description I can use to put it up on ebay or should I just copy what SS Autochrome has up for his auction? Heres what it looks like so I wont be able to use his pictures

18. 92coupe

OK, now what about the SSautochrome auctions selling power master turbos.......are they actually power master, and so then wouldnt it be ok to buy from them

19. 1105

"Also watch out for the master power units they sell as well. The wheels being used are not from MP and are not tagged with the serial #'s. The MP units are all marked on all wheels."