1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo placement. Drop fuel tank.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Legend_1994, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Legend_1994

Hello everyone. As I was replacing my springs this idea came to me. I think I just found a great sport for the turbo. Drop the fuel tank and there is just a big hump of room for the turbo and all of the piping. Then just run a fuel cell in the car and power the pump off of the original relay.

This would completely take away all of worry of having the turbo close to the ground. Conveniently enough the original fuel tank isn’t above the rear axle so it would be a relatively easy job compared to... other kinds of work.

Thoughts on this ?

2. B E N

There's a great place that's already heat resistant and spacious: the engine bay.

But more to the point of your question, yep. You certainly could. Just make sure you have a way to seal the fuel cell from the passenger compartment (firewall). Make sure you use an appropriate fuel cell, and secure it correctly. Make sure your new fuel lines are routed safely and aren't going to chafe through on anything. The only hang-up is not spilling fuel all over your trunk during fill ups, and no longer having a trunk for your groceries (you don't want your cheerios tasting like gasoline!).

3. Legend_1994

Hey Ben. Thanks for the feed back. You know.... I’ve been considering a front mount turbo since this morning now. I found a guy “LT1boost” who makes a turbo kit that will fit without needing to stand up the radiator. It’s roughly 5k though... Not exactly in my price range so would take quite a long time to get.

4. B E N

Build it! You can see where he has the turbo mounted, and where there is space, that's one of the hardest things about a build.. So your ahead!

5. Legend_1994

I really like the.. “metal work” here, the log kit looks nice and my favorite part.... I get to keep the AC and won’t have to stand the radiator up !

9C88AE50-2ECD-4DAB-A078-318E97F40BEC.jpeg #ad

22AEA13F-A964-406A-A67B-5BD1273C1295.jpeg #ad

6. 20112011Cummins

That looks like a really nicely packaged solution to me. If you're ok with losing AC I would go this route long before cutting up the trunk.