1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

manual boost controller option for PTK 64

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by NiteRida, Feb 28, 2004.

1. NiteRida

A buddy of mine (Kenny) ditched his blower and bought a used Pro Turbo Kit 64mm system with air to air intercooler. The original owner said the boost was set at 8 psig. Kenny now wants to put a manual boost controller on it, but PTK doesn't have them in stock and they've been backodered for a while.

What is another alternative to the manual controller that PTK sells? He's looking to get this resolved prior to the visit with Murillo on March 12th to get the chip re-burned.

This is our first time messing with a turbo system...... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JON.

2. 90coupe

Here is what their boost controller looks like. I wouldn't bother waiting on one when you can build one yourself. It also included some rubber hose and a braided line.

3. NiteRida

controller

Jeremy, Thanks for the information.

Do you know where we can buy the controller you have shown as a kit? Thanks.

JON.

4. 90coupe

Not sure where else besides PTK you can buy it as a kit. But the black piece is just an air pressure regulator from Sears, etc.. I think the silver fittings are from Tial.

5. 1QUICK86

ttt

..look in SUMMIT racing...go to the import section they have them there.........they sell turbo XS..........same thing as ptk..

6. mfpmax

Both being around $40-60...

While Sears and any other place has them for $15-20

7. boosted89

Guys, thanks so much for the responses. Jon, thanks for getting the ball rolling!

I understand that I can go buy an air regulator from Sears and hook it up on my car, but what am I actually regulating? I understand superchargers pretty good but this is my first rodeo with turbocharging and I don't have a clue as to how a wastegate works. It appears that it controls the exhaust gases and not the cold air side of the compressor....is this correct? The gentleman that I purchased the kit from said that the wastegate is set to 8 psig boost based upon the spring in the wastegate but I just don't understand how that works and could use some clarification. If the spring will only allow 8 psig boost, then how can a manual controller create more boost? Also, where are the vacuum lines connected to? I ran a vacuum line down to the wastegate but what connections are made when you install this "manual" controller (i.e. what are the inputs and outputs).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Kenny Spriggs

8. Snipe656

9. boosted89

Controller

Thank you very much. That was explanation I was looking for!

Kenny

10. Ackbar00

Ebay has a lot of manual controllers

11. turbomut

i got mine from turbonetics looks the same as the pic. it probably is one