1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Boost dropping off ?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by steve beckley, Sep 30, 2009.

1. steve beckley

Friend has a 03 evo with 272 cams, full 3" exhaust, intake, tune and avcr electric boost controller. Problem is anything set over 19lbs. on boost controller it will spike to set # and drop right back down to 19lb. Just installed a forged motorsports internal waste gate with stiffer spring to see if it would solve but didn't any ideas. Thanks

2. stretchb

any luck ?

3. Marty Staggs

Leak somewhere or BOV issue?

4. zrg91gt

Is it possible the wastegate spring is too light, and backpressure is forcing the valve open?

I had this problem with my car.

5. turbo iroc

check ic and piping for leaks maybe try manual controller or use wg springs to reach desired boost level. Check all vaccum lines especially the wastegate ones. Also the turbo could be at its limit and just cant flow enough to keep the boost up that high.

6. JZ 97 SS 1500

What turbo?? If its a stock it maybe running out of steam...that is the reason it keeps dropping back down to 19psi toward peak rpm.

7. BLACKMACH1

Sounds like thats it. Turbo is too small. My volvo has a td04 16t spikes to 18 falls to 15 at 6k rpm. I might try to modify the intake seeif that helps