1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Build Up parts before a turbo

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Koll, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Koll

Before I actually get into the turbo part (one thing at a time) I figure why not get what I can out of the engine. I saw this kit in summit which says it makes 350 HP (which I assume is flywheel). Kit

Now I went through my Jegs and saw these parts. Would I be better off with that kit or these parts? Or something different alltogether?

(How is this intake anyways) Intake
    Heads
    Cam

2. svooh

The Holley stuff is niiiice. The heads are fantastic and the cam is their 51014...sweet sound & power. I'm not a fan of the intake, but it's a real flow-monster. Works well in pretty much every application.

3. Koll

How turbo-friendly are thoes heads/cam?

4. Cld12pk2go

Most people say the Holley heads are weak, and the cam weaker.

The Holley Systemax II intake is very nice though.

5. Koll

I just read that The SysteMax KIT sucks
    "That intake is alright. The Holley SysteMax Intake is the best longrunner intake on the market, followed closely by the Edelbrock Perf. RPM II. The Performer RPM would be just fine for your build.
    Those heads fucking blow too. TFS Twisted Wedge ftw!

And sorry, the cam sucks as well. I hate FMS Letter Cams, but an F-cam would do for you in a pinch, though I'd recommend a custom ground turbo cam."

What would you have to say to this angry interneter.

6. gofastcrackpipe

If it were me I would run a set of trick flow or AFR heads, and save your money. I would also go with trick flow upper and lower, but if you decide to do AFR's run the Holley intake. As far as cams you can make power with letter cams just not as much as what a custom grind would be, but you can always grow into bigger and better parts.

7. Koll

Also, to start out, I figure that a letter cam will suffice

Hrm, thoes AFR heads (165CC Street heads) are only like $50 more than thoes GT-40X heads and are 100x better.

8. SoL_93GT

Hey, how much power are you looking to make? You're gonna spend $3000 on the motor then spend $4500 on the turbo kit. Why not just spend $4500 on the turbo kit and make 500 hp with the stock motor first? Then do the motor work and then you'll have enough power to blow you motor up if you want to go that high. I think you should start with the turbo kit first.

Briane

9. Koll

..........I never thought about that. Durrr.

Now I have to get an auto (size and fitting). Would a stock 86-89 transmission and rear hold a stock block and say a 61mm turbo?

Or would the rear end shit out?

10. ziptie007

I second getting a kit 1st and then building from there.

But when you do get some stuff I would stick with the stock cam and then like a pair of trick flow twisted wedge heads, roller rockers, good head gaskets (cosmetic) , system max intake, abd best of all gooood fuel system

11. SoL_93GT

You will need to upgrade the stock transmission and rearend, especially if you plan on putting slicks on it and racing it.

Briane