1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Engine Temp

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by MARKW, Aug 3, 2005.

1. MARKW

Ran a few passes with the new ride , the temp got to 220 degreese , is this normal for a turbo car?

2. Disney Lincoln

3. BlackMagic94

Normal for a turbo mustang that just blew a headgasket if that is what you mean.

4. Linc's 84 351

:loll: Yup ^
    Are you blowing coolant out of the recovery tube?

5. ziptie007

whut does your cooling system consist of? whut thermostat do you have? How much timing are you running? etc...

6. MARKW

I HAVE NO THERMOSTAT , I HAVE BF202 HEADS WITH 12 AN LINE GOING TO THE RADIATOR.

7. Mustangous

thats probably your problem... did you just take the whole thermostat out? if so water is running through the rad too fast and not havning enough time to cool. Try taking a old thermostat and take everything out of it except the actual ring part of the thermostat. That will act as a restrictor.
    I would just put new 160 or 180 thermostat back in. no need to not have one.
    Aslo what else does you cooling system consist of?? electric fan? what kind o rad, stock? make sure that black scoop under yourad support is still there and intacked...

8. Linc's 84 351

Re: Re: ENGINE TEMP

If it is just one AN -12 line (3/4") then THAT is your problem.
    Try cooling an engine down with 3/4" heater hose, no way.

Two dash 12 hoses (one from each head) might do it.

9. MARKW

cooling problem

I guess i was not clear. i have bf202 heads with a yates style intake that has no water going through it. i have a 12 an hose comming from each head to the radiator. i have ran this with a nos motor and it worked fine.

10. Linc's 84 351

Do the coolant passages on the Yates heads match the holes in the head gasket and in the blocK???

11. MARKW

cooling problem

the heads were used with this same cooling system on a nos car and had no problems.

12. turbo66

More rad area, airflow or better underbonett evac of air required. The extra heat from turbocharging is a big downside.

13. Linc's 84 351

For the passenger compartment, yes...but I haven't ever noticed a huge change needed to the cooling system.