1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Would 72# injectors be too big for my app?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by enigami, Oct 2, 2009.

1. enigami

Ok, I have a 1991 mustang lx with a 306 stock block f cam and bg custom turbo kit. I will be running aem ems and was wondering if a set of 72#s would be a bad idea. I can het them for a good price and like the idea that they would leave room to grow down the road. I just don't want to cause any harm or make my tuners life any more difficult. Also they are low Impedience if that makes a difference. This will also all be in a street car. Thanks for any help in advance guys.

2. Anthony Fury

I'm glad to see someone thinking 2 steps ahead as far as their injector requirements, for once. Will they be "too big?" Maybe, right now, but your tuner should have no trouble getting an F-cammed 306 to idle/drive nicely with 72#ers *and* sequential injection.

Unfortunately, you will still be in for either resistors or a driver box, so factor that in, too. (Last time I checked, the AEM could only handle High-Z injectors.)

3. BottleFed70

What anthony said.

If you have to go with a driver box, you might be better off sending more and getting High-Z injectors.

4. eboost

no, im prety sure EMS will run both hi and lo ohm injectors.

5. enigami

intentions for the car are a Dart block down the road when i can afford it. I just dont like buying parts twice. The driver box wouldnt be too much of a problem as im sure I would be running low impedience injectors down the road also. This is a over time build as I dont even have the turbo kit bolted on yet. I just want to make sure I have enough information and can budget myself accordingly.

My tuner suggested the Gen7 for the standalone but I like the features on the AEM better. Thanks for the heads up guys. :2thumbs:

6. kcorkins

Gen 7 :2thumbs:

7. enigami

As far as the gen7 vs aem I personally just think the aem seems to have more of what I'm lookin for built into it. I like the 2 step and boost builder features as well as the boost controler built in. Seems to me that that's just 1 thing less to buy. Also it seems that there us a lot more cost involved with the gen7. I could be wrong but from their site it kinda looks like they nickel and dime you on parts and features.

8. Anthony Fury

I would go with the system your tuner likes and is best with. All those features might be really nice, but having a molten blob where your motor used to be and/or a car that drives like a pig will make you forget all the little doo-dads. Not saying your tuner would do that, or is incapable or anything, but something to consider. Also, Gen 7 can run low-Z injectors.