1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

torn compressor o ring

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by sam51, Mar 19, 2024.

1. sam51

Well I tore my new turbos compressors O ring, the old turbo didn't have an O ring on the compressor side, so I didn't even think to look since I replaced it with what was suppose to be the same turbo, I guess there have been some upgrades since I ordered my original. Anyone have recommendations for where to go to get a replacement, other than the manufacturer, I'm going to call them first to see if I can get one from them, but just in case I want to have another place or two I can call.

2. Wallace

If you can get the dimensions McMaster Carr probably has it.

B E N likes this.
  3. B E N

Sometimes you can even get them locally at a parts place, the local Ace carries a good selection of Viton O-rings as well.

4. sam51

Thanks for the help, I'll take a look at my local Ace and see if they have anything, I have 2 o rings that are the correct diameter but are too thick, I spoke to On 3 today and he said they don't have any and probably won't be getting any for a few weeks, He did say that I could use the copper RTV and the O ring doesn't set any depth for the housing.

5. B E N

RTV would not be my first choice for this. If you get the inner or outer diameter of the ring, and the thickness you can look up the number. You can also measure the groove, you want the o ring to fill 60-85% of the volume.

Another option would be to get one of the import O ring assortment kits ($10-15) and test fit a few until you find the one you like best. Keeping a box of O rings around isn't a bad idea, especially if you are a homeowner, they get used.

6. sam51

I found an O Ring sitting in my extra gaskets bin, it fits over the backing plate onto the lower area and looks like it'll work, the impeller isn't contacting the housing anymore either, I can't find my feeler gauges at the moment to measure the distance from the blade to the housing but it looks almost non existent, the gap is very tiny which i think is going to work.

TurboSnake281 likes this.
  7. sam51

I checked the clearance on the compressor blades to the housing and I've got about .0009 clearance, does anyone know what id acceptable and whats to much?