1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Electric Exhaust Cutouts

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by nxcoupe, Mar 12, 2024.

1. nxcoupe

What exhaust cutouts have you used? Good or bad points? I'm looking to use a 4" on my car, so I want to hear about other people's experiences with the different brands. I'm thinking of giving the Summit brand a try. Tia

2. Russell

Why electric and not boost actuated?

underpsi68 likes this.
  3. nxcoupe

Because.

4. nxcoupe

Lol. J/k. I am probably going to control it with the Holley. I don't want a diaphram actuating that hot valve. I also want to be able to actuate it on demand.

5. Russell

I thought about the boost valves but I decided to just go with a cap on a V-band to remove at the track. I agree with the ability to control it I don't think I would want it to open every time I am in boost. I considered a electric valve to block the boost valve to have a stealth mode.

I did not even consider the electric valves. My neighbor said he has gone through several on his cars sounded like they have a short life span.

6. nxcoupe

Certain manufacturers do, that's why I started this thread. Maybe going with the summit brand is the smartest mive here since it would be cheap to replace in the event of a failure. I could buy 2 and have one for the trailer.

7. underpsi68

I bought the Granatelli cutouts. In my research they seemed to last. I installed them and used a bit. Got tired of hitting the switch to open for boost. They take a few seconds to open and close. I switched to the accuators and am much happier. They open and close instantly without doing anything. Less eyes watching me on the street.

8. nxcoupe

Ok, thanks. I will only be using mine when at the track. It will be closed when driving and i eill just hit the switch when I prep the car to race. It'll be closed when driving and divert the exhaust out through a 2.5" exhaust with a quiet muffler. Once opened, It'll dump out front of the engine. I will never be in boost with it closed.

9. Pro-SC

I went with these
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1855474536...lp:4429486&itmmeta=01HS0YJCZMWM8FSXFP0ZC62HDN
    They have a five year warranty and are supposed to be made in the USA. I told the guy how close to the turbo they will be and he said it won’t be a problem, just to lube the valve every few months. I am going to open it on the street and the track. My original plan was to also have an air grabber type scoop that would also open above the air box, when the cutouts do. I want to be able to have a street tune with some boost (7lbs) and run through the dual 3” exhaust to the rear of the car and then a race tune with 14+ lbs. not sure on the exact amount of boost I will be running, will see on dyno day. The air grabber scoop would be cool but it is wider than the air box so I am not going to bother.

10. B E N

Quick release V-band and a cap, pull the cap at the track?

Russell likes this.
  11. nxcoupe

Nah. That's just one more thing to have to do at the track and I want to have a turn down to direct the exhaust under the car when I open it. Kiss principle and low effort. I don't mind lubing it or cleaning it when I'm doing regular maintenance.

Thanks for the responses.

KEVINS likes this.
  12. Russell

He is mine, on a turn down. Deep well socket on a 1/4" cordless. I can reach it with out lifting the car. Very easy to get off. Two hands makes it easier to get back on. A moving blanket to lie on is nice.

Not as easy as hitting a switch. But it's cheaper. I got the v-band at the bin store on $1 day! The cap was cut from the stainless off an old dishwasher. I wish I had a thicker piece of stainless for the cap because It does Looks like Ray Charles welded it with his feet but the price was right and it was in stock.

PXL_20240201_043507276.jpg #ad

nxcoupe and TurboSnake281 like this.
  13. Pro-SC

That also works well for guys who have to unbolt one side of there sway bar when racing. I only went with the electric ones more for the novelty and to freak out people once in a while at a red light, that’s why I love the idea of an air grabber type scoop for the turbo intake to open when the cut outs do. No shark teeth though just a decal that says No Fear!

nxcoupe and TurboSnake281 like this.
  14. nxcoupe

^All of this. I am not worried about cost, wrong hobby for me if I was. I want to be able to open it at will and be able to play at a moment's notice. Go from Librarian to full party mode at the flip of a switch.